Poly fiber filling from stuffed animal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LillyPad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just modded my top fin 40 HOB filter by removing the carbon from the tetra filter and replaced it with polyester filling from stuffed animal.

What do u think of this mod?

I also added a solid peice of extra hose from my nexx filter to the intake to extend it which it now has alot more suction.

Probably a bad idea. Fiber fill in stuffed animals are treated with fire retardant which I have heard is bad for the tank. The fiber fill stuffing is usually okay you just have to make sure it hasn't been treated with anything.

Yeah I would take it out just to be safe. Go to a craft store or craft department of walmart or something similar and buy 100% polyfill. It is used for pillow stuffing. It costs like $5 for a bag that will last you years.

My thoery is it is made for a child and I doubt it has fire retardent. I hope. Its been in there for over 24 hours now. If it was wouldn't my fish be dying or acting crazy?

My thoery is it is made for a child and I doubt it has fire retardent. I hope. Its been in there for over 24 hours now. If it was wouldn't my fish be dying or acting crazy?

Not a theory I'd go by ... Here's my $0.02 When in doubt, throw it out. There's just no way of knowing what the pillow stuffing was treated with .. If it was. Plus the other materials the stuffed animal's made of, which could rub off on the stuffing.

The fish could be fine now ...and they may be fine period, but better to go to target, Walmart and or an arts craft store and get a 20oz bag of 100% Polyfill.
As was mentioned, $5.00 should last you a year at minimum.

If a stuffed animal is made for children, it definitely has fire retardant. Any article made of cloth or any flammable material that is to be around children is treated with fire retardant. Most safety laws require items to resist flaming for 12 seconds or more. Fire retardants have been shown to cause cancer and other serious problems. You would be amazed at what chemicals we are exposed to ever day. But that is another story.

100% fiberfill is safest. Or order filter media online.

I just modded my top fin 40 HOB filter by removing the carbon from the tetra filter and replaced it with polyester filling from stuffed animal.

What do u think of this mod?

I also added a solid peice of extra hose from my nexx filter to the intake to extend it which it now has alot more suction.

I actually love this idea. Im sure you will get mixed reactions on this one though, but this is exactly the kind of innovation I look for. Its non toxic, builds ample bacteria pop space, water can run more fluidly, simply BRILLIANT!!!! Just make sure it dosnt get out into the actual pump of the filter however, it could get cought in it and eventually stop it , would be my 2 cents.

Though i dont think alot of aquarium people know, stuffing in stuffed animals is actually the same substance used in Fluval. So i wouldnt worry about being toxic.

Though i dont think alot of aquarium people know, stuffing in stuffed animals is actually the same substance used in Fluval. So i wouldnt worry about being toxic.

Agreed I doubt it has a fire retardant. I would only be worried if its an old stuffed animal that has been washed and stuff.

Agreed I doubt it has a fire retardant. I would only be worried if its an old stuffed animal that has been washed and stuff.

Lol are u kidding stuffed animals go up in flames like toilet paper... I wot tell u how i know that, but i deff know thats the most ridicules thing i ever heard of. Idk how that even got into the convo.

This about a dog that ate a stuffed toy..

" We contacted the manufacturer of the toy and found that the polyfil, which would digest into the clear gel, is treated with a chemical to discourage bacterial growth. This chemical, while harmless to the babies chewing on the outside of the toy, if ingested is extremely toxic to the intestines."
Source: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/stuffedtoys.asp

Discourage bacterial growth. Not something I want in my filter.

This about a dog that ate a stuffed toy..

" We contacted the manufacturer of the toy and found that the polyfil, which would digest into the clear gel, is treated with a chemical to discourage bacterial growth. This chemical, while harmless to the babies chewing on the outside of the toy, if ingested is extremely toxic to the intestines."
Source: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/stuffedtoys.asp

Discourage bacterial growth. Not something I want in my filter.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?198066-Using-polyfiber-as-filter-media

Keep in mind when talking about "land" bacteria they usually mean molds and funguses. there is a difference, and I can see why its bad for dogs (i study biology in school, theres a whole list of reasons none to do with bacteria). However this is not the first time such a thing has occurred, apparently there is quite a trend for which has shown great success. Foam is good too but it doesn't give the water flow.

I removed the stuff today and did a wc.

I think that is great! Just another idea for you. If you know a quilter ask if the have any cotton batting. It's cheap at Walmart too. I bought the smallest amount and can make it as thick as I want just by cutting more layers. I also use a thick roll of it about a 1/2 thick and put it in the front of the out put flow of the filter. It catches so much little stuff that it is brown/black in a week. It also slows down the flow of water for the betta. Biology and chemistry are too different studies. If it can turn into a gel, the chemistry make-up changes. Glad you took it out.

Angel_fish said:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?198066-Using-polyfiber-as-filter-media

Keep in mind when talking about "land" bacteria they usually mean molds and funguses. there is a difference, and I can see why its bad for dogs (i study biology in school, theres a whole list of reasons none to do with bacteria). However this is not the first time such a thing has occurred, apparently there is quite a trend for which has shown great success. Foam is good too but it doesn't give the water flow.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying polyfill is bad, just when used from stuffed animals. I've been running polyfill for over 5 years. 100% polyfill is completely safe.

Back
Top Bottom