Polyp Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkAnviL

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone tell me what these are? Having a hard time pinpointing it on google. These started to emerge after a large die out of yellow polyp rock I had. The rock was covered with 30-40 yellow polyps heads and died our big time for unknown reasons all water paramiters were good. Theres a few yellows still left on the peice of rock, maybe 3 or 4 but now all the purple guys are multiplying and starting to cover the rock. Any ideas?

The purple 1's are zoanthids. They are good to have.
Right above them looks like aiptasia. Not good to have.

I could be wrong, but i don't think that's aiptasia, Capt. I think those are the yellow polyps he/she was talking about, before most of them died out. Because he/she also says that there's 3 or 4 yellow polyps still alive on that rock. Could be aiptasia though.. i think a better picture would be in order to tell exactly what it is.

Yes they are the few yellow polyps left on that rock, not aiptaisia. Thanks alot for the ID on the zoanthids guys! Do you know which zoanthids inperticular?

Meh... names kind of vary from retailer to retailer. Some people just slap names they feel fit on to different types of coral. I think you most commonly find that sort of thing on zoas and rics since there's so many different kinds of them.

Can't really tell from the pic, but what color are they? They look purple.. is that right?

Can you take a pic of the yellow polyps. They don't look too yellow in that pic. They look more brown.

Name the zoa's whatever you want. :)

Back
Top Bottom