Pomacea (pomacea) canaliculata Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VedderX

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Anyone have any experience with snails? My snail keeps tucking its body up behind into its shell and exposing this white bubble like thing looks to have veins in it. Any idea wht it could be?

well it sounds like its growing but the shell isnt mabye u should be talkeing it to ur local pet shop

I am posting the pic now!

img_1628551_0_5df8a7829b773c5072100fca90ab8503.jpg

I have 3 Cana's that I got from pet store just after birth, 2 males and a female. The femails just laid about 1200 eggs in 3 batches

Look at the big one in the pic and youll see it tucked behind this white bubbble like thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea what this could be under the shell? Its white and looks like a bubble with blueish veins?

If I'm not mistaken, that's its lungs. I've never seen my snails tucking their heads behind their lungs before.

I think you could get more snail specific answers over at applesnail.net forum. Great place to ask questions.

They never processed my membership!

Ever sell any of your Canas?

No, my snails aren't laying eggs yet, but I don't want any baby snails. LOL. I had to buy a 10 gallon tank for them because they were eating my plants (they were labelled as brigesiis when I bought them), and I have to gravel vac and do an 80% water change every other day because they're just so messy. I think I might have to upgrade to a 20 gallon soon if they get any bigger.

Thanks for the advise. Hopefully more will reply!

I have about 200 White, blue, Yellow baby Apple snails right now waiting to find someone to take them

it could be an infection but i strongly sugest u take it to a pet shop

They never processed my membership!

Because applesnail.net is a great source of information, I would strongly suggest that you recheck to see if applesnail.net has perhaps processed your registration by now. Maybe email the contact person regarding your registration.

From the anatomy/respiration page of applesnail.net:

Respiration

"The lung of the apple snail is an air filled sac in the left mantle cavity.
The walls of this pulmonary sac are very well supplied with blood to exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide (CO2) between the blood and the air in the lung.
In the picture above, one can see the numberous vessels in the wall of the lung."

From the above page it does seem that the white balloon object could be the snail's lung.

Back
Top Bottom