Pond Ideas...got any?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubixCube

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a small pond i installed last year. (Ill post a picture soon) its an in ground pond on a flat lawn. How can i build a small waterfall? Do i pile dirt up on the side of the waterfall and then add rock? Any suggestions?

I would stack some rock or brick, then lay a liner over that and then put more rock on top of it. The liner will help the water run down the face of the falls instead of down through the rock. You can also use water fall foam to force the water to run down the face of the falls...

I would also plant a lot of flowers behind the falls. That will help it blend into its surrounding some. Flowering shrubs are great for that because they keep their over all shape during the winter.

The most important step is the liner... overlap it into the pond... best bet is to join it to the pond using roofing cement... thats the only compound I found to work effectively.

As for everything else... I used cinder block for a base, then dirt, then the liner. The hardest part for me was the falls. I rebuilt them three times before I changed the design. Don't be concerned if you feel you have to rebuild it three or four times before it comes out the way you want. Once you get the final design, then use the foam if the water isn't cooperating.

Back
Top Bottom