Pond snail take over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KristaButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I cleaned my filter today and holy cow, the pond snails had been having s party in there. I couldn't believe how many there were. I hope my assassin snails can keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They lay so many eggs and you can look under the leaves and on the glass to see the little gel globs and slide them off or scoop them out to help out the issues.

About a month ago I dipped everything, scraped the walls and siphoned the gravel. I never had a take over. I only found 10 adults. Lol My Java ferns were covered with egg sacks when I dipped them. If those had hatched it would have been complete destruction. Lol! I got tired of picking little babies out over the next days so I bought some assassin snails and forgot about the pests. Then I cleaned my filter today and was like woah! I'm sure there must be tons in my tubing. Arrrrg.

Dang u just changed my return output to an open jet. I hope none of my assassins go in there and destroy my pump. I read that somewhere on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can use a prefilter sponge or stainless steel wire mesh to keep snails and baby shrimp / fry out. The Assassins usually stay closer to the bottom and it seems thay aren't going to need to go far to get a meal, at least for awhile. Just make sure after they eat the snails, you supplement with a food, like Crab Cuisine good for shells. They can starve to death (not for awhile though, lol, :/).

Back
Top Bottom