pool sand new substrate which is better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reduces Chloramines, Odor and Eye Burning. Molecular sieving occurs when water contaminants such as ammonia ions are adsorbed and chemically locked onto the zeolite granules.
What makes it do that? It claims it's natural... but who knows.

The combination of physical entrapment of fine particles and molecular sieving of contaminants
While you won't be using it in a filter, you have to wonder if this might some how effect your cycle?

I have no clue though... I don't know what this stuff is. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in. But IMO, I don't put anything in my tank unless I KNOW it's safe. I know that's why you're asking though. :)

If it were my tank I wouldn't do it. It sounds like it messes with your water's properties. Just my 2 cents though.

tmcgee said:
If it were my tank I wouldn't do it. It sounds like it messes with your water's properties. Just my 2 cents though.

where does it say that?

Zeolite is a naturally occuring substance. It is sold in the LFS as ammo chips, and is in ammonia removing filter inserts. There may be some value in having some in the substrate, but it would not make a good general purppose substrate the way regular sand or gravel would.

how about a mixture of these two pool sands? and what % you think would be a nice mix.

I should also point out that you don't even know if these things sink or float... you can't assume sink just because they may be similar to sand.

Zeolite - any of various hydrous silicates of aluminum that are analogous in compostion to the feldspars. Contains either sodium or calcium or both of the type Na2O2.Al2O3.xSiO2.xH2O. Can act as ion-exchangers. Has high CEC.

You may want to watch your PH doesn't bomb, I think it has a PH of 5.7..

Terralit - Aqualine Buschke, Germany - zeolite-based; very hard; multi-colored (white, brick red, black); resembles small aquarium gravel; 2-5mm in size; no organic matter.

a complete breakdown for terralit is available Here

It is an excellent substrate for plants if you believe that CEC is the key to healthy plants.

zeolite is not sand, it is another media all together as wizzard pointed out above. It is used in pool filters instead of sand because of its physical properties. It is shaped more like a crystal or snowflake instead of a cubical grain. This irregular crystal shape allows it to catch more debris in the pool water than the cubed sand. I don't know how it would affect the ph of your water. I do not know of any special procedures to follow to keep the ph in your pool to stay at 7.2 . If it would affect the ph drastically then you would need to keep messing with the ph in the pool and that is not needed so I guess the ph would be okay. I personally would not use it, it is an unknown in aquaria and is more expensive than sand.

Brian

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom