Poorly guppy, please help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scubatom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Male Guppy Hovering around the top of the tank, eats ok, breaths like the others, no obvious signs of anything other than being lethargic, moves if tank is tapped but stays at the top and doesn’t do much else, did see it go for another guppy earlier but then just swims slowly with a tail that ripples as aposed to big wave movments, the black eyes are smaller than the other 2 guppies is the only difference but then they are different colors fish.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Cant give values but had it tested on Sunday again to be sure and everything was fine, minimal nitrates PH is 7.5

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

46 litre and 1 month

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Fluval edge filter, it has a sponge, white gravel and black gravel, (cant find code on it)

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

2 x dwarf gwarmis 1 x aprox 2inch 1 x aprox 1.5 inch
3 guppies all just over an inch
5 small neons alla bout1.5 to 2.5 cm
1 x red tale and fin shark aprox 2.5 inch

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

I have done a 25% water change each week adding water condition, also adding aquarium clear bacteria to keep a heathy and crystal clear tank, I do not hoover the gravel however I do also clean out the filter each week also.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

I have had the guppies after week 1, I floated them for about 10 minutes, then added some tank water for a further 5 mins then dropped them.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Nope on as whats stated above

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

They have flakes but I also add in frozen food once every 2 days, mixture of blood worm and shrimp and some other things

Attachments

• IMG_2277.jpg
    IMG_2277.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2278.jpg
    IMG_2278.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 69
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Male Guppy Hovering around the top of the tank, eats ok, breaths like the others, no obvious signs of anything other than being lethargic, moves if tank is tapped but stays at the top and doesn’t do much else, did see it go for another guppy earlier but then just swims slowly with a tail that ripples as aposed to big wave movments, the black eyes are smaller than the other 2 guppies is the only difference but then they are different colors fish.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Cant give values but had it tested on Sunday again to be sure and everything was fine, minimal nitrates PH is 7.5

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

46 litre and 1 month

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Fluval edge filter, it has a sponge, white gravel and black gravel, (cant find code on it)

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

2 x dwarf gwarmis 1 x aprox 2inch 1 x aprox 1.5 inch
3 guppies all just over an inch
5 small neons alla bout1.5 to 2.5 cm
1 x red tale and fin shark aprox 2.5 inch

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

I have done a 25% water change each week adding water condition, also adding aquarium clear bacteria to keep a heathy and crystal clear tank, I do not hoover the gravel however I do also clean out the filter each week also.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

I have had the guppies after week 1, I floated them for about 10 minutes, then added some tank water for a further 5 mins then dropped them.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Nope on as whats stated above

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

They have flakes but I also add in frozen food once every 2 days, mixture of blood worm and shrimp and some other things
The red tale and fin shark, is it a red tail shark? If so, this might be the problem.

The red tale and fin shark, is it a red tail shark? If so, this might be the problem.

Yes he is a red tail shark and he also has cool red fins, I love him. I am aware he will grow to 6 inches, We do not intend to get any more fish as this will be the limit of the tank.
He is not aggressive and lives in harmoney with the others, they are well fed (not over fed) and he enjoys spending his time mooching around in and out fo the plants. If there are problems he will be moved into a new tank.

On the subject of my guppy, I have just noticed he came down to the middle of the tank and started picking at the other two guppies who just swam off, he ate something now back at the top

Yes he is a red tail shark and he also has cool red fins, I love him. I am aware he will grow to 6 inches, We do not intend to get any more fish as this will be the limit of the tank.
He is not aggressive and lives in harmoney with the others, they are well fed (not over fed) and he enjoys spending his time mooching around in and out fo the plants. If there are problems he will be moved into a new tank.

On the subject of my guppy, I have just noticed he came down to the middle of the tank and started picking at the other two guppies who just swam off, he ate something now back at the top
You are gonna have to remove him sooner or later. He will possibly eat all you're small fish. They get aggressive as they age, and very territorial. Its possible he is bullying him while you are not there. Is you're guppy pooping normally? And is there any other sign of illeness apart being lethargic? Try monitoring he's behavior for a few minutes. He might just be a bit shy.

You are gonna have to remove him sooner or later. He will possibly eat all you're small fish. They get aggressive as they age, and very territorial. Its possible he is bullying him while you are not there. Is you're guppy pooping normally? And is there any other sign of illeness apart being lethargic? Try monitoring he's behavior for a few minutes. He might just be a bit shy.

I will definately move him then, I want to keep a happy friendly tank.

I sit next to the tank all day, and ironicly when i stared at him he was pooing, which looked like the skin of the blood worm then he was picking on the other guppies again in the middle of the tank and then back up to the top.

I will definately move him then, I want to keep a happy friendly tank.

I sit next to the tank all day, and ironicly when i stared at him he was pooing, which looked like the skin of the blood worm then he was picking on the other guppies again in the middle of the tank and then back up to the top.
Fish poop is usually the color of what he eats.

Back
Top Bottom