Possible additions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crawdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all, I'm itching to add one or two more guys/gals to the mix. Here is what I have right now;
55 gallon
1 Fluval 306 filter
2 heaters
3 bubble stones for oxygenation

Stock right now is 1 African featherfin catfish (5-6 in)
1 rubberliped pleco (6 in)
2 yellow labs (5 in and 4 in)
1 blue acai (6 in)
1 orange and black peacock? (5 in)
2 jewels (3-4 in)

Would it be safe to add anymore, and if so, how many, and recommendations on what.

Looks like you have a bit of room to play, much unlike the threads where someone lists 20 fish in a 30 gallon and ask what more they can add.

You might consider looking into an Afra variety, which would add some nice contrast to what you already have. I have had luck with them cohabiting with Acei, Labs, and Pseudotropheus, though I could not say if they would work with Jewels (I have not had any). I'm pretty sure you will find something out there you will like, just make sure you check the compatibility. Of course some cichlids that are identified as compatible are just jerks and won't get along with any fish.

You may also look for a thread from a couple weeks back that gave photos and profiles for some Malawi Cichlids. I can't remember who started the thread, but there were some really nice photos in it. Good luck with your additions.

Ovid said:
Looks like you have a bit of room to play, much unlike the threads where someone lists 20 fish in a 30 gallon and ask what more they can add.

You might consider looking into an Afra variety, which would add some nice contrast to what you already have. I have had luck with them cohabiting with Acei, Labs, and Pseudotropheus, though I could not say if they would work with Jewels (I have not had any). I'm pretty sure you will find something out there you will like, just make sure you check the compatibility. Of course some cichlids that are identified as compatible are just jerks and won't get along with any fish.

You may also look for a thread from a couple weeks back that gave photos and profiles for some Malawi Cichlids. I can't remember who started the thread, but there were some really nice photos in it. Good luck with your additions.

Convict did. It was really good

Last edited:
I have a 55 with 2 acei, 2 jewels, a lab and a few others and I recently added a trio of c. Afra and they have fit in perfectly. Not aggressive aside from conspecific (I ended up with 2 males 1 female, oops)
They are beautiful fish and they only get about 4"

Andrew McFadden said:
This is the thread he is talking about
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/mbuna-peacock-and-hap-pictures-213393.html?highlight=mbuna%2Cpeacock+hap+pictures

You may like to read threw this aswell
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

Since you have peacocks you should try to stock with less aggressive mbuna or peaceful

Yep. That was the thread, thanks for digging it up. I still need to read your guide, then I can point to it for reference next time. :D. I'll have to set some time aside between tank maintenance this weekend.

Well, I picked up a couple of new kids today. Let's see, a couple of Hap. Redfin Borleyi, a couple of Hap. Malawi Jewels, and a couple of Hap. Zebra Obilqueden's. I believe there is a total of 8, all juvies. By the time they grow to be a stocking problem, I will have upgraded the tank to a much bigger one. Are they get acclimated, I will post some pics.

garfy said:
Can you get a closer pic?

The water is still real cloudy from yesterday for some reason. Here are a couple of more for now, and I'm about to set up my water polishing filter. Hopefully I can take some better shots in the next day or two.

image-3475936121.jpg

image-91463833.jpg

image-3703215940.jpg

Back
Top Bottom