Possible Aptasia? Something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm not too worried about the tiny starfish like thing (though it'd be nice to know for sure what he is, good/bad)

But I'm more concerned about the little fan light things all over this rock, next to him, and towards the top.

After seeing all the posts about Aptasia, it's got me worried. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447904286.466211.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447904299.785780.jpg

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also, I went to go check on my tank (the lights have been off for hours now) and I found some other hitchhikers that concern me.

Sorry for the awful photos, I tried taking videos, but I couldn't figure out how to load them, it's almost impossible to capture footage of night critters.

One looks like a worm of some type. I do have bristle worms, which I know what they look like, but this thing was much different. It was fat and oval shaped.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447912088.420131.jpg

The other is another whispy clear tentical thing that has bubbles or dots on the tips.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447912126.737934.jpg

Please help me identify these things, I've been searching this forum for hours and haven't seen anything that look like these.

I am traveling to a saltwater water store tomorrow or Friday and I would like to know what I need to pick up.

Upon doing more research I'm starting to think the worm like thing is possibly a chiton (or shielded snail thing) of some sort? Hopefully someone with more expertise will chime in....

I like salt water tanks because of their diversity, but at the same time.... Some of these critters give me the heebie-jeebies lol- especially the bristlesworms....

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447915561.654130.jpg

Google image that I found that is the closest thing that resembles what I saw, I think the color pattern is even very similar... lol it's hard to see much detail in the photo I took.

Little star is astaria.
Can become invasive but may stay in small population.
Most don't worry big about them.
Harlequin shrimp eat them(and only live starfish).
Can't really tell on the little fan.
Could be aptasia or a small featherduster/tube worm.
The other oval thind could be a stomenella(common type of 'snail').
Having fun yet!~

That looks like a chiton to me. I have 3 and are great and keeping the tank clean.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, I'm still worried about the two whispy things. I've noticed that the first type I posted that is near the little star stars out all the time. And the second bigger clear one with dots in the end of the arms, hides during the day.

In thinking about getting a couple peppermint shrimp just in case, but if it's not Aptasia, what else do they eat, I don't want them to starve?

They just eat whatever scraps they find laying around the tank. Pretty sure you need to make sure you get a peppermint shrimp collected from Florida to be sure it will eat the Aptasia.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The clear thing with tenticals and white balls on the end (like a jester hat) I think are ball anemones- I saw someone else post asking about them, and they had better pictures of it, and it looks identical to what I have. They are focused mostly on one rock, and seem to have multiplied, they are almost in a cluster.

I've googled it, and I can't seem to find the answer- are they good or bad?

I have inverts, fish, and eventually corals.

Here's the awful photo I tried to get of one in my tank. I couldn't balance having enough light to see it, but not make it scared and shrink. But also not having a horrible glare on the glass. :/

Looks like possibly a Ball Anemone. Really, really hard to tell from that shot. But I see tentacles, and balls on the ends of them?

Back
Top Bottom