Possible case of ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 4 Giant Danios in my 55 gallon river tank at moment for about a week as initial stocking and to observe that everything ok (plan to add more fish slowly). I noticed several days ago, that 2 had small whitish/gold flecks appear on the edges of several fins (possibly one on body) - no more than half dozen or less per fish. Checked my ammonium and nitrite as my tank is recently fully cycled - both still 0 ppm. Also did 20% waterchange. Seem to be not as many flecks now. Temperature was about 30C or slightly higher (no airconditioning in house during heatwave), but begin to drop as weather cools. Fish are very lively and eat very aggressively.

Seem, like could be ich? I am wary of medications. Would like to try salt/heat method, but a little worried about the danios and my plants. Would like to be more certain before treatment start. 2 powerheads and powerfilter spraybar mean excellent aeration, so oxygen levels should be good. Sorry no photos - dots are hard to see and the danios are hard to photograph, as they move constantly.

I also have a similar tank (50 gal no powerheads) I have 3 Australian rainbows and 3 dwarf gouramis.

One of the gouramis had similar specs on his tail and now they're gone. One of the rainbows now has em.

I'm also curious about what action to take.

Seems as though the gourami beat it so maybe just wait?

Hello Klaus...

Most, if not all tank problems are due to less than pure water conditions. Small water changes do little to maintain a good water chemistry that's safe for your fish. They just don't remove enough of the toxic nitrogen in the water. You really need to be changing half the water in the tank every week.

Fish wastes take time to build up in the water and if you change large amounts of water every week there just isn't time for toxins to build up to a point that will make your fish sick, before the next large change.

If you think your fish have an ailment, then use a bit of standard aquarium salt in the replacement water. A teaspoon in every 5 gallons will be enough to discourage the growth of many parasites that can infect your fish and this level of salt won't damage your aquatic plants. The salt will stimulate the fishes' immune system and healthy fish are rarely, if ever prone to infections.

The combination of a lot pure treated tap water and a little standard aquarium salt added for a few weeks should help.

B

50% seems a lot of water every week for 55 gallon at over 20-25 gallons! The standard recommended water change is about 20-25% from most sources, so that is what I do weekly (1/4 of water hardly a "small" waterchange). Also with my old tank without problems. Might do 50% occasionally, but not every week.

I doubt water quality of my tank (they have only been in it for less than a week and it is very clean), but probably something from petstore and maybe stress. I will probably add the salt slowly and heat for a little bit. Might kill my plants, but oh well.

50% seems a lot of water every week for 55 gallon at over 20-25 gallons! The standard recommended water change is about 20-25% from most sources, so that is what I do weekly (1/4 of water hardly a "small" waterchange). Also with my old tank without problems. Might do 50% occasionally, but not every week.

I doubt water quality of my tank (they have only been in it for less than a week and it is very clean), but probably something from petstore and maybe stress. I will probably add the salt slowly and heat for a little bit. Might kill my plants, but oh well.

20-30 gallons is a lot of water but is pretty reasonable when you have bad water or lots of fish.

Unfortunately for me I have ammonia in my tap water at over 2ppm.
So I'm getting some deionized water today. Ill probably do 15 gallons cause I only have so many containers though. Ill probably do two water changes a few days apart.

The combination of a lot pure treated tap water and a little standard aquarium salt added for a few weeks should help.

B

What other effecrts does aquarium salt have in a freshwater environment? I know some fish and shrimp like it for breading and things.

Water Conditions

Hello again Klaus...

If you're going to the effort to get out the gear for a water change, then change it. It doesn't take much more time to remove and replace more water. The fish live in their own waste and if I was in their place, I'd want a lot of water changed and changed often. If you change out 20 percent, you leave 80 percent of the toxins in the tank.

Water is cheap, your fish and plants probably aren't. If you change half the water, then the remaining toxins are diluted to the point they never build to a toxic level.

Here's a test. Look at the water you remove. If it's a slight amber color, that dissolved fish waste and you've left most of it in the tank. After years of removing half the water weekly, I doubt you could tell the difference between the water I remove and the new water. There's very little dissolved waste that builds up.

Try it for a while. Your fish will be healthier, with better color and your plants get a consistently high level of healthy minerals from the new water.

B

Well, I look for confirmation about fish disease, not a lecture about water changes.

But to that subject (for last time): I have read many books and websites/forums and see people advocate everything from 10% water changes once a week (obvious novices and old books) to 50% twice a week (very serious hobbyists). The most common recommendation is 20-30% and I have had no problems with this for plants or fish before (in my old tank, never had any disease). Could go with 50% once a month (in addition to 20-25/30% weekly) and eventually 25% twice a week, but not 50% all at once on one day. Water quality is fine - I check it often! If more works, that is also great.

It appear, that any flecks are now gone, whatever it was. That not seem characteristic for ich though. Any recommended actions? I will observe for awhile, not sure, that I want to add salt if nothing wrong. Would like to add more fish eventually, but not sure how long I should wait, if nothing reappears.

Klaus3 - you should listen to BBradbury. He's giving you very good advice. There's a lot more benefit in large water changes than you seem to think. I could go into a lot of detail, but simply put, the fresher and cleaner the water, the healthier your fish will be.

Hello Klaus...

Most, if not all tank problems are due to less than pure water conditions. Small water changes do little to maintain a good water chemistry that's safe for your fish. They just don't remove enough of the toxic nitrogen in the water. You really need to be changing half the water in the tank every week.

Fish wastes take time to build up in the water and if you change large amounts of water every week there just isn't time for toxins to build up to a point that will make your fish sick, before the next large change.

If you think your fish have an ailment, then use a bit of standard aquarium salt in the replacement water. A teaspoon in every 5 gallons will be enough to discourage the growth of many parasites that can infect your fish and this level of salt won't damage your aquatic plants. The salt will stimulate the fishes' immune system and healthy fish are rarely, if ever prone to infections.

B

B,

I did just as you directed about the water change and aquarium salt and the ich seems to be on its way out. Fish look happier and more colorful as well!

Jak

Here is update on my fish, in case could help someone with similar problem: the white spots came back on the 2 fish and definitely ich, so put in heater in (not use it as my fish like cooler water, but came free with tank) and raised temp. to about 30-31C over 2 days. Then add aquarium salt gradually to 1 teaspoon per 5 gallon. The ich disappeared on one fish, but the other with the disease covered in it for day or so, until they decrease. The fish are now ich-free for 4 days, so reduce the heat today for first time and will do large waterchange, once temp. return to normal.

So salt+heat treatment is recommended. Good to not use toxic medications(y)

Here is update on my fish, in case could help someone with similar problem: the white spots came back on the 2 fish and definitely ich, so put in heater in (not use it as my fish like cooler water, but came free with tank) and raised temp. to about 30-31C over 2 days. Then add aquarium salt gradually to 1 teaspoon per 5 gallon. The ich disappeared on one fish, but the other with the disease covered in it for day or so, until they decrease. The fish are now ich-free for 4 days, so reduce the heat today for first time and will do large waterchange, once temp. return to normal.

So salt+heat treatment is recommended. Good to not use toxic medications(y)

Awesome Klaus! Thats great to hear. I second that aquarium salt is much better then the blue/green medicine crap that doesn't work haha

So, while we are on the ich topic. I have corys (either sterbai or haraldschultzi) that were exposed to ich. I am afraid of the salt for corys. I did raise the temp however and I do large water changes in all my tanks even QT tanks.

So, while we are on the ich topic. I have corys (either sterbai or haraldschultzi) that were exposed to ich. I am afraid of the salt for corys. I did raise the temp however and I do large water changes in all my tanks even QT tanks.

I have 3 false julii corys in my tank with about 75% the recommended amount of salt. They're doing fine but ill double check when I get a chance. Are corys sensitive to salts?

Back
Top Bottom