Possible cichlids for L18" x W11" xH 16" tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quokka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good day everyone,

I recently got back into the hobby and got a tank with dimensions of L 18 inches x W 11 inches x H 18 inches. According to aquarium calculators this is roughly 60.5 liters (16 gallons). The tank is nearly cube-shaped.

At first I was planning on keeping either blockhead cichlids (Steatocranus casuarius) or Bolivian rams (Mikrogeophagus altispinosa)....but after a bit of research it seems like the footprint of the tank (18“ x 11”) might be a bit too small for these species?

If any, what kind of cichlid do you think could life comfortably in my sized tank? I think some species of cichlid that I could theoretically keep are:

Shellies(Neolamprologus brevis, occellatus,
multifasciatus, etc)
Apistogramma
Lataecara
Nanacara
Anomalochromis thomasi

I feel Mikrogeophagus ramirezi are too difficult for someone of my caliber to successfully keep.

Maybe I should stick with a Corydoras sterbai / Fundulopanchax gardneri killifish setup...or a setup with just Anubias and cherry shrimp....But since I have always loved cichlids I am still hopeful I could keep a species of cichlid in my tank.

The tank is not fully set up yet as I plan on choosing a species and then setting up according to their needs. Also...do you think an Eheim 2217 is overkill for this tank? I feel more filtration is always the better.

Thank you in advance. Happy fishkeeping!

Shellie’s like brooks said or Apistos, I was keeping them in a tank similar to that size species only for a bit

Thank you for your replies!!

I guess cichlids are not a very good match...but I found some peacock gudgeons(Tateurndina ocellicauda) and they seem better suited to this type of tank...I might try my hand at them.

Rams are always a possibility....but only after I gain more experience and my tank's water is perfect :)

Hello all....you think any Laetacara species would be okay in this size tank? I saw a place that has Laetacara dorsigera and they seem small enough:)

Back
Top Bottom