Possible Concern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KentCurtis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all. Pretty new here and just setup my first 20 gallon tank. I have an appropriate filter setup as well as an air pump creating bubbles via a strip. Everything is looking great and I just recently added 3-4 live plants which I really like. In my tank I have 1 plecostomus, 3 tiger barbs, 1 zebra danio, and a red colored "GloFish". They all seem to get along quite well, no aggression form the barbs or anything. THey have been in the tank for around a week now and everything seems to be going well except I have noticed my Zebra Danio is hovering very low and even 'sitting' on the botom of the tank at times. As I look now he is on the bottom or very near it. I have never noticed this kind of behavior out of him in his old tank.
I tested the water today and the test reported that I have fairly hard water and a high ph. Everything else is just right. Is it possible that either of thigns are causing such behavior? Its water from my sink that I treated with an aquasafe chemical, but this is also the same water that was in his old tank.

Sorry for the lengthy post! Thanks in advance!
-Kent

Welcome to AA! When you say all the other parameters are just right, do you mean ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm? I would first suspect being a new tank that you are having a spike of ammonia or nitrite. Hard water and high ph are fine if the ph remains stable. Do you have an airstone in the tank?

The first thing I do whenever there is any concerns in the tank is to do a water change. Do a 25-50% water change and see if the fish does any better.

Nitrite was right on, i need to get some different strips to test my ammonia level. I had a feeling it could be ammonia because, like you said, I am dealing with a brand new tank. Also yes, I have an airstrip that puts out a decent amount of bubbles. This may also be a somewhat newbie question, but whats the best method of making a water change? Im kinda worried about keeping the temperature consistent with the change etc.

We were all new once upon a time. Never not ask a question out of fear here! We will always welcome questions no matter how newbie they seem.

I would recommend getting a liquid test kit as they are more reliable than test strips. For water changes a gravel cleaner to suck up detrimis and pails to add new water. You may want to get a python gravel cleaner one day, it makes water changes much easier.

I add water from the tap, I use hot and cold to get the temp to the same as the tank. In time you will be able to tell by the touch, LOL. Add dechlorinator to your pail and dump in carefully.

Thanks! So to help the new tank along, not just for this danio issue, I should do some water changes for the Ammonia if the test indicates it is high? Thanks again

It doesn't help the tank along actually but it helps the fish. Ammonia and nitrite are dangerous and can be lethal to fish. Cycling occurs as the ammonia converts to nitrite and nitrite converts to nitrate. If doing a fishless cycle, the ammonia can be allowed to build up, but with fish in the tank, the fish can actually die. You will need to do water changes probably every couple-few days as the cycle progresses.

What is 'just right'? Numbers are appreciated :)

pH isn't a problem as long as it's stable.

Filters are generally WAY overrated- take the gallon rating and half it to be safe.

Ack! Forum glitch! Zags got it covered :)

Yeah sorry I didn't have exact numbers as I used a strip test and tossed it after seeing most were in the stable range. I will start doing 25-50% water changes tomorrow....Im guessing the ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate will take a while and this may be causing me some problems. I should probably see my ammonia levels going down by doing this for a while?

Over time the ammonia will go down. Cycling with fish will take longer usually than fishless cycling due to the water changes. Water changes will help your fish survive.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really wish I would have discovered this forum BEFORE I started my tank with fish in it :(. But, I have already started this cycle with fish so I just need to keep at it. Going to go buy an ammonia test kit today and start doing 25-50% water changes. Hopefully my fish will be alright :confused:

Zebra Danios swim in schools you said u only added 1 they need to be in at least groups of three. I may be wrong but a few months ago I got a zebra danio and did the same.Then I found out that they need to be in groups of 3 at least. Then they just played with each other normaly.

Hmm really? Maybe adding a couple more might make a difference with him? I have a glofish in there and the first couple days they swam around together, but the danio seems to have lost interest. Also - tested my ammonia and it was almost 0 according to the liquid test, ill try again today

Two different fish.. thats why they wont school together. Wait till your tank param's get in check and then go add 2-3 more zebra. wait about 3 weeks for your bacteria to catch up from them 3 and then go get 2 more glofish. Your tank should be set then. When adding fish.. try to wait about 2-3 weeks for your tank to catch up to the extra work load. just a word of advice if you are adding fish!

Oh ok that makes sense, thanks. I figured theyd school together since glofish (in my understanding) were just modified danios. My zebra danio is a longfin, will it make a difference if I buy 3-4 regular zebra danio to go with him? Im starting to think my tiger barbs nipped at my longfin, hes still hovering at the bottom most of the time, sometimes even sitting on the bottom.

Long fins and regular will school they are all the same species. A danio sitting on the bottom does not sound good, they are hatched to move.

Back
Top Bottom