Possible Ich. Want to treat with heat. Is it safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gazingatstars12

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got some white spots on one of my rams... thinking its ich

I was just wondering about the safety of my fish if I treat with heat. I know some fish are sensitive to heat so I wanted to double check before the temp gets too high

Only 1 fish out of more than 30 are affected in a 72g tank. I have the standard assortment of tropical fish. Pleco. Danios, rams, barbs, balloon mollies, cories, tetras, and a kissing gourami.

Should I worry about the temp with any of these fish?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Treating ICH in Planted Tank? - The Planted Tank, search the forums for that topic, good answers there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get the temp up to 86 and keep up on gravel vacs every 2/3 days and small frequent wc!

No plants. I didn't end up in the planted tank board did I?

It was more of a just in case you had plants, but the methods are still good.

Safe for my fish though?

So hard to get a pic of with their coloring. Very very tiny spots. The one fish has about 6 or 8 of them on his fins

Attachments

• 1396918387501.jpg
    1396918387501.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 1396918399224.jpg
    1396918399224.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 73
Brookster123 and the forum topic I mentioned should be safe. The heat method is the most organic. Sometimes a bad case will need medication.

Looks like a light case, the heat method may be a quick and easy.

Blue tetra and painted tetras

If you mean blue as in neons, is say you run the risk of cooking them as they're only good to about 76-78° and 80° max for a short time. To get into a temperature controlled treatment the ideal # is 86°. Gradually raising the temp over time. Too much too fast will cook them as well also.

Nah not neons... These guys

Attachments

• 1396933607184.jpg
    1396933607184.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 64
The Blues and the Barbs may have issues. I lost quite a few barbs in a heat treatment for ich many years ago. It's a wretched parasite, if it infects the whole tank you could have losses no matter what treatment you use. Just raise the temp very slowly and watch. If some start struggling you can pull them out into a QT tank and treat them another way.

WC's and heat will be your two best friends. Along with the water changes you could help the heat along by adding the water a degree higher than what's in the tank. It takes more energy to heat water than it does to cool it so when adding just one degree higher than the existing temps, it doesn't push it over the edge to be harmful to your beloved babies.

with bumping up the heat an air pump could help because its harder to breath in the warmer water, the same reason why some people add salt to assist.

I have a volcano ornament with a bubbler that's always on and another couple air ornaments that I took off the timer to be on until treatments done. Do you think I should add salt at well?

Also temp is holding at 86 and everyone's looking good

Double check if your fish can handle aquarium salt, I don't see why not tho 1 tbsp / 5 gal.
Worked on my Molly but they like the brackish anyway. If you can awesome if you can't just keep a closer eye on things, but you prob have fish to watch them so that won't be to hard.

Back
Top Bottom