Possible Mantis Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScubaGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I think I have a mantis shrimp in my tank. It is not as green,and colorful as the photos online that I looked up, however, is shaped the same. I wish he would come out so I could get a picture to show you.guys. He hasnt eaten any animals yet so hopefully he doesnt. Odds are he will eventually kill my fish if I dont get him out. Anyone have any ideas on what I should do?!?!

Get him out? Just use a net. I had one and needed to move all of my rocks but it was only a small tank, hopefully you shouldn't need to rearrange the whole tank.

Ofcourse I plan to get him out, but how is the bigger question here. My tanks 40g so hopefully its not to difficult to catch.

Where is it located? If it's in a rock crevice, then it's easy because you would just take out the rock and get him out, if it dug underneath a rock then it would be harder.

Anytime I have seen him, he is inside or on a piece of particular rock, however, I dont want to kill the rock as well. Another question is the eyes on him arent multi colored or crazy, does that mean it could be something different?

Mantis shrimp can be many different colors from the bright and vibrant peacock to dull green like the common mantis.

Try taking the rock he's on or near and dipping it in freshwater, it won't kill the rock but it'll most likely make the mantis jump out.

It turns out after a quick fresh water dip of the live rock that it was a mantis shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom