Possible over crowd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hermieguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 medium-small goldfish in my 29 gal. Is it overcrowded? Or is it fine?

A good rule if thumb for goldfish would be 20 gallons for the first goldfish then for every extra add 10 gallons. So you would need 40 gallons. Don't just take my word for it though! Do some more research about it, it could be done with a lot of extra filtration and close attention.

One of them is just a goldfish, two of them are small, black with popped out eyes

Can we get pictures? It sounds like two black moors. Fancy goldfish usually require 20 gallons for the first and 10 gallons for each fish after that. They may require more in the future. Pond goldfish and koi require mass amounts if water. Ponds or 50 gallons each.

The answer to your question is yes, the tank is overcrowded - or as you will hear around here, overstocked.

I also have a 29 gallon tank, and have 2 fancy goldfish (that's what your moors are) that are a little over a year old. I do three weekly water changes of at least 50% on this tank, which is a cycled tank, to keep the water healthy for them.

There is no way I'd add another fish to this tank, and certainly not a goldfish that is more suitable for pond life. It's not fair to any of the fish.

Your comet or common goldfish can see much better than the moors, and can swim faster. It will get the first and best of the food, and the moors won't be able to keep up. Please consider either investing in a 55 gallon tank for the comet, or finding a home for him with someone with a pond.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom