Possible stocking for a heavily planted 55G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

majormo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm very tempted to buy a 55g, and if I did I would plant very heavily with amazon sword, java fern, water wisteria, and Anubias Nana, and was thinking of stocking with

4 boesemans rainbows
4 neon rainbows
10 harlequin rasboras
10 elders livebearers
1 SEA

Any thoughts on this stock? Will they do well with the plants? Should I be worried about over stocking? And what order should I introduce them in if I do go through with this tank?

What type of neon rainbowfish? The only neons I know are precox dwarfs? Either way I would up the neons to 6 each.

Did you mean Endlers? Are you using mixed males and females or all males? N P K or hybrid if Endlers? By the way that last is curiosity and has no impact on stocking.

What type of neon rainbowfish? The only neons I know are precox dwarfs? Either way I would up the neons to 6 each.

Did you mean Endlers? Are you using mixed males and females or all males? N P K or hybrid if Endlers? By the way that last is curiosity and has no impact on stocking.

Yeah, they're the dwarf rainbows, Should I up their numbers to six and only have three boesemans? And yes I mean endlers, I'm not very good at spelling, and I'm not sure yet, it depends where I buy them from.

Yeah, they're the dwarf rainbows, Should I up their numbers to six and only have three boesemans? And yes I mean endlers, I'm not very good at spelling, and I'm not sure yet, it depends where I buy them from.
Personally I would do-

6 boesemans rainbows (your centerpeice)
8 precox dwarf neon rainbows
10 harlequin rasboras
10 Male Endler livebearers

I just can't get myself to recommend an SAE... just do not like em lol. But you have space at the bottom of the tank. Beyond an SAE (or more likely a group).

Personally I would do-

6 boesemans rainbows (your centerpeice)
8 precox dwarf neon rainbows
10 harlequin rasboras
10 Male Endler livebearers

I just can't get myself to recommend an SAE... just do not like em lol. But you have space at the bottom of the tank. Beyond an SAE (or more likely a group).

Could I get a couple ghost or cherry shrimp instead of an sae? I'm concerned about algae on the plants

Could I get a couple ghost or cherry shrimp instead of an sae? I'm concerned about algae on the plants
Amano shrimp should be good. If a lot a spots to hide some cherries might work as well. I have never kept ghost shrimp but they should be fine. You can also throw in a nerite or mystery snail or 2 (and maybe more later after the tank is well established).

Back
Top Bottom