possibly going to school in 3 yrs for 2 yrs- start new 125g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsxrguru2

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will probably be leaving home in about 2 or 3 years to go to school for my masters and may or may not sell the property. I have been collecting a bunch of equipment to start my 125 gallon as a reef tank. Now I don't know whether i should scrap it or go with it anyways and handle the situation when (and possibly if) I leave. what would you guys do????

I'd get the tank started and consider selling it when you leave. Why miss all the fun?

That's just my opinion. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and have had quite a few offers to buy the whole thing from me. When ya think you'll be able to set it up and begin cycling it? Rocks and all?

I'm hoping things will pretty much be all set up to go within the next 3-4 months. One thing i was wondering is if its easy to sell off livestock and lr? Then, i could just store the tank and equip. in a storage unit until i get back. how easy would it be to recoup the money spent on livestock if i sell them after 2-3 years of having them? Another option: hiring a friend to watch over the tank in my house while i am gone (assuming i don't sell the property). Would any of you trust non-aquarium-fanatic friends to take the responsibility of taking care of your tank for a long time? Would it be difficult in your opinion to teach a person what they'd need to know?

No, I wouldn't. Case in point :

When I left for school, I had an Ornate Uromastyx. I left explicit instructions with my parents on how to care for him until the day I could have him again. My dad decided that he needed to constantly keep his tank filled with crickets. Sadly, a year after I went off to school, he developed an infected sore and I had to have him put down. If the person watching your stuff for an extended period of time can follow instructions to the t...then its fine. But I wouldn't rely on that.

Me too neither :roll: .

That is, I wouldn't trust your prized tank with a non-aquarist. You can script general maintenance stuff for them, but they would not be able to recognize little things that may happen and how to react.

Then again, if they were armed with a digital camera, and an AA membership :wink: - for which they'd use to communicate with us, it might work. But that could be a stretch for someone who doesn't have a sincere interest in the hobby.

You guys are right, what about just starting it up and selling off my livestock when i leave. I can always keep the equipment and jump back in down the road... will i lose a lot of money in just selling off the rock and livestock?

Even if you did lose some money from the rock and livestock, wouldn't it be worth the time you did get to spend with the tank?

Even if you did lose some money from the rock and livestock, wouldn't it be worth the time you did get to spend with the tank?

Good point. I wouldn't worry about recouping your original cost on livestock and rocks at all. Even 25% of the cost to enjoy it for 2-3 yrs is worth IMO.

Yeah, this is true! I am so stoked to get my tank started that it would definitely be worth while. Thanks for the input and suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom