potassium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your local Hardware/Garden store is a good source. A farm supply place is good too.

Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, and Monopotassium Phosphate should all be available.

Also, Greg Watson online is where many folks buy thier bulk dry ferts.

alright thanks ill try around and check out the site.also which one should i get for yellowing leaves and should i also get iron.

Potassium Nitrate - While it contains Potassium is mainly for dosing Nitrate
Potassium Sulfate - Would be for Potassium dosing
Monopotassium Phosphate - While the name contains Potassium is actually just for Phosphate dosing

Another Potassium source is KCl which is the primary ingrediant of NoSalt and can be found in grocery stores.

i checked out gregwatson.com and they have goof ferts and prices so i think ill get som pottasium sulfate from them. thanks for quick responses

i suggest u order all your ferts at once. order nitrate, potassium, phosphate and csm +B. they are only a fer dollars each and shipping wont change much. i paid 25 for nitrate phosphate and potassium after shipping. its like 15 for just one item becasue of shipping.

I'd recommend getting 2lbs (or more) of the potassium sulfate. I find it gets used much faster than the other ferts, and I'm annoyed I have to put another order in for JUST potassium. Even with your 10gallon, you will probably use a pound in less than a year if you do frequent large PWC's...

7Enigma said:
I'd recommend getting 2lbs (or more) of the potassium sulfate. I find it gets used much faster than the other ferts, and I'm annoyed I have to put another order in for JUST potassium. Even with your 10gallon, you will probably use a pound in less than a year if you do frequent large PWC's...

Another thing to consider is your fish load. If you have a small fish load and are dosing a lot of KNO3, then you will only need a small amount of KSO4 or you may not even need to dose it at all.

rkilling1 said:
7Enigma said:

Another thing to consider is your fish load. If you have a small fish load and are dosing a lot of KNO3, then you will only need a small amount of KSO4 or you may not even need to dose it at all.

His profile shows a pretty well stocked tank (for a 10gallon). I have a fully stocked 20gallon and rarely have to dose nitrAte, so potassium nitrAte gets used very infrequently, while the potassium sulfate feels like there is a hole in the bag!

It's always a good idea to get at least 1lb or so of the other chemicals, even if you never think you'll need it. My tap water has 0.5ppm phosphate and my food supplies all I thought I'd ever need. However, after recently adopting a set dosing strategy regardless of tank levels (not really EI dosing, but there are definately similarities), I've noticed less algae problems (CO2 also played a factor) by adding potassium phosphate in small amounts even though the tests say I don't need any.

Back
Top Bottom