Potted plants - can they introduce disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Potted plants - can they introduce disease?

I am looking at adding a few live plants to our 40 gal tank.

I planted a few small Wisteria plants that were "prepackaged" and after a few weeks have not died so they must be taking.

The local fish store sells some potted plants but i am hesitant to add them fearing it may introduce a disease or snails to my tank.

Is this fear justified?

If I am wrong and it is safe to add a potted plant from the store - can i leave the plant in the pot and just bury the pot in the gravel?

Yes and no. If you fear snails, then yea, its possible, but personally I don't think they are really a big deal.

If your LFS is full of disease-ridden tanks, then yeah, its possible, but any half decent one wouldn't let disease run rampant killing all of their stock constantly.

You could leave the plants in the pots, but it'd be similar to leaving houseplants in their original pots. If you do, I suggest at least aerating the soil they are in a little bit and maybe adding a little fertilizer to the pot.

To be honest mate any plant can introduce snails n nastys to Ur tank IF not properly clean it checked before hand, I use potted plants from my lfs but I don't keep them in the pot I take them out n plant them in my substrate, but I have heard of people keeping them in the pots in there tank n if u are one of those people who keep moving stuff around then I can see advantages to keeping them in pots but its just up to you

I do an undiluted peroxide dip to my plants to be sure you can hear then snail popping and nasties sizzling then a tap water rinse

Back
Top Bottom