Power head for 29 bio cube???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do I need one? some say yes, others say no. I have one just laying around... Use it or no?

Thanks...

My friend was asking he I wanted to sell it but I'm not sure if I will need it down the road for the cube. Any info would help.

I googled it and it's very conflicting.

I have a 425 koralia in my cube. i would highly suggest you use one, much better flow and circulation than with the stock output only. :)

carey said:
I have a 425 koralia in my cube. i would highly suggest you use one, much better flow and circulation than with the stock output only. :)

Thanks again carey! :)

Wait you had one lying around? Or you bought it?

So long as its not overpowering the whole aquarium Id put it in.

User said:
Wait you had one lying around? Or you bought it?

So long as its not overpowering the whole aquarium Id put it in.

The one laying around had been damaged in the closet so it's probably good for parts(maybe)

The one I bought is a Turbelle nanostream 6045

User said:
How do you like it?

Haven't used it yet or set up my tank. Going to get my tank now it's in. I'm being told that this power head might be a bit too strong.

I'd say it's fine for your tank but you will need to turn it down. At max flow it's too much for the tank. Somewhere around 300gph is the max I would go with. Good luck!

I returned the 120.00 power head that was at its most a 1,200 GPH power head something that I'll never need. I bought a koralia 425 for 24 bucks!! Big save! I'll use the money I saved for something else for the tank!!

I returned the 120.00 power head that was at its most a 1,200 GPH power head something that I'll never need. I bought a koralia 425 for 24 bucks!! Big save! I'll use the money I saved for something else for the tank!!

Sounds good! What do you have going on in your filter area? Have you thought about adding a protein skimmer?

Keeler said:
Sounds good! What do you have going on in your filter area? Have you thought about adding a protein skimmer?

Removed the media balls. Yes I'm thinking of a skimmer. I have the heater and new power head coming tomorrow. Have all testing supplies. So just waiting and seeing what skimmer is best and will work. In another thread I have some say I don't need one if I do weekly water changes. Others say if I feel more comfortable get one but not the bio cube one. So I have some thinking to do.

I currently run the sr3 skimmer in my biocube and have had 0 issues with it. As far as water changes, most people will say they're mandatory but I've had luck not doing them in mine. Its been up for over a year and all I do is use phos ban, coral accel, carbon, and a filter. Then just top off as needed.

Water changes are a MUST in any salt water tank, even more so if you keep corals. The water change doesn't just take out nitrates it also ADDS any trace elements that have been used by your corals and creatures via the newly mixed salt.

I have no skimmer on my biocube and do weekly water changes of 3-6 gallons. Just takes like 10 minutes maybe. It's a small price to pay for a healthy tank.

As far as powerheads go, I'm using a 425 koralia now and find the flow "adequate". I've actually run my 750 koralia in it before and found that to be good, maybe a touch much but overall good. :) So a 550 would probably be perfect. It's all about the placement and angles though so do what works best. You want water flow around all your rocks and sand with no dead spots whatsoever. This is vital in keeping your tank clean and healthy as well. :)

Don't let all the information overwhelm you, just go piece by piece and go from there. :)

Ill agree on the Koralias that is all I use in my tanks. The water changes I do reccomend doing but I wouldn't say its a MUST for any tank. I've never had an issue nor has it affected my fish or coral from growing. Look into the modifications available for your biocube. I learned a lot of the weaknesses and the strengths of the design and it helped me to set my tank up better.

Back
Top Bottom