Power head or Airstones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martiniduck

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon tank with an under gravel filter. I use two airstones one in each lift tube. I have each stone attached to each outlet on a Whisper model 60 air pump. Lots of bubbles, maybe overkill. My question is would I be better off with a couple of power heads? or would I be wasting my money? I also have a Penguin 150 biofilter external filter rated for a 30 gallon tank.

this would all depend on what your wanting to have happen.. if you want it for the sole purpose of filtration.. then just keep your current setup. unless you you have other intentions.. if none.. it would be for your own personal gain.. i dont see it helping a tank out any.

are you planning on adding some type of messy eating fish?

power head with out question. you would be better to make it RUGF. take 2 power heads and push water down into the plates. it will turn the gravel into a bio filter.

not even intrested in what he has to even be concerning himself with powerheads? I mean seriously if he has like 5 guppys in it.. waste of money

no. RUGF are the only useful way to run them. reg under ground filters the bubbles going up creates the flow. a power head on there will increase the current but better yet able to push the water down and up though the gravel.

i understand how they work.. but if he isnt battling a heavy bioload to began with, its pointless to go with that type of system. thats all im trying to get at.. yes its a better alternative hands down, however, if its not needed, then i wouldnt fuss over it.

from one of their other threads they dont seem to want a light bio load. by switching it will give them greater options later on also.

Right now I have 3 mollies and 3 platies. I also have two corries. I am slowly adding fish. I will add some others soon. I am assuming a RUGF is a reverse under gravel filter.

Thank you both for your help. This is a stupid newbie question. When waste like uneaten food and feces fall to the bottom of the tank, isn't it better to have suction downward to pull the debris into the substrate and have the bacteria feed on it there? If I use powerheads and reverse the flow where will the debris go? Won't all the floating debris be sucked up by my external filter and digested in there?

it would instead of being sucked into the top of the sand... it would be blown into the bottom. which will allow more bacteria to form, thus allowing a higher bioload. With your current setup.. its overkill.. if you want to double.. or even triple your current setup.. then yes a RUGF is the way to go

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom