powerhead and sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going to try my hand at a salt water tank. I have already gotten some info from here but have a few more questions. I live in Orlando Florida right down the street from World wide corals...GREAT PLACE. lots of info and great people. I am putting together a 10 gallon fish only tank. They did suggest using live sand. No need for live rock if I don't want it. Do I have to use live sand or can I use another type of sand? Also, would I need a powerhead in this tank if it is fish only..

Hi there,

For your 1st SW tank it isn't recommended that you start that small. The bigger the tank the more room for error you could say. It's possible to do, it just will require more work and constant monitoring on your part.

I think 20g High or 30g standard are perfect starter sizes if your limited on space.

But if you insist on a Nano I would say go for the 15g standard. I've been eyeing one on Orlando's Craigslist for the last couple days I think they have 3 and are asking for just $15.

$$ wise it won't cost barely anymore to start the 15 or 20g then it would the 10g.

Live Rock (LR) helps with biological filtration. Also some fishes need places to live or hide in the tank so having rocks helps with that too.

You don't HAVE to buy LR or Live Sand (LS), but it helps get your cycle going. Some people get Dry sand & Rocks and use chemicals and other products to cycle their tanks. I don't know details of the different methods of cycling since i got my tank already establish. I'm sure you can search the forum or maybe some1 else will chime in.

I have a 29g FOWLR and all I have is a HOB filter and it's been running for over 2 years.

I've been thinking about starting a 15g Nano so I've done a lot of research on cheap but effective equipment for it. So let me know if you would like any recommendations! :)

I am going to try my hand at a salt water tank. I have already gotten some info from here but have a few more questions. I live in Orlando Florida right down the street from World wide corals...GREAT PLACE. lots of info and great people. I am putting together a 10 gallon fish only tank. They did suggest using live sand. No need for live rock if I don't want it. Do I have to use live sand or can I use another type of sand? Also, would I need a powerhead in this tank if it is fish only..

A 10g will require close monitoring of your water parameters, but if you're willing to put in the extra work, it can be done. Also, with a 10g, you're only going to be able to have 1-2 very small fish.
As already stated, live sand is not required. Whatever sand you use will become live over time. Some people use pool sand.
You don't need any rock if you don't like the looks of it, but your fish will require places to hide, especially the small fish that will fit in your tank. That can be in the form of plants or decorations, whatever you like, but they have to have places to hide and sleep or they'll get stressed out and get sick.
You will probably need a small powerhead, maybe 250gph, to prevent dead spots where food collects. The PHs keep food and poo suspended so that it can be filtered out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom