powerheads in planted African tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjsans

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am changing the look of my 125 gallon tank. It needs more than just rock. I want to include lots of plants growing around the rocks. Maybe even some drift wood. My son suggested using power heads to increase circulation to enhance the plant growth. I've only used these in my reef tank. Would they really be beneficial?

Also, I have regular natural gravel. I have seen black used. My pH is around 7.6. Should I switch to shell? The black is very striking with the greens, and the tank is in the center of my living room.

Most of us set our cichlid tanks up just like a saltwater tank. The more movement well help keep the tank clean. Do you have to have it no but the cichlids imo love it

My Africans (Lake Malawi's) will get right in front of my Marineland 900 and swim really fast then get out and back in lol. They def love it :fish1:

I can believe that. My goldfish love to swim in and out of the waterfall in the pond. One particular one looked like a salmon trying to jump the falls. Unfortunately, last Summer a Blue Heron made a breakfast of all my large goldfish and Koi, Salmon Boy included. That makes 3 times that dang bird ate my large fish.

What size power heads for a 125 gallon tank? Also, what are your thoughts on plants and Cichlids? They rearrange my gravel constantly and uproot the few plants I have in there. I would like to see a well planted tank. I don't like the "just rock" look. I think I'm going in the wrong direction here. Should I change over to a straight community tank? I have well water. That means live bearers and I don't want to deal with a lot of babies in the tank. I have enough problems with the Cichlids. I have 3 broods right now to deal with.

I just tore down my tank due to a slanted floor and a Tidepool Bio-wheel filtration system that overflo
wed a few times (my maintenance mistakes) and warped my stand. It now has to be totally rebuilt (it was made of plywood, for peat sake) and leveled off to compensate the hard wood flooring. Now I'm in a quandary about keeping the Cichlids or going community. It is my understanding that most fish that like hard water are live-bearers and Cichlids. My choices seem rather limited.

Back
Top Bottom