Powerheads over kill in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnsonw2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 42 Gallon salt water tank with about 30-35 pounds marco base rock and about 7 pounds live rock rubble. As of today i plan on doing FOWLR but may get into a reef set up later down the line. My tank has been set up for about a month and a half and my tank is finishing its cycle. I have recently gotten into this hobby and all my knowledge about salt water tanks has come from the internet. I was reading about aquariums needing flow so i went on ebay to find cheap powerheads ( dont got much money) I purchased 2 800 GPH powerheads and i am thinking this might be overkill? I would appreciate any input on the subject as i am new to the hobby. Thanks!

Are your fish struggling? Is the sand getting blown all over the place?

I have a MP10 at 70% in my bio cube 29 and it's fine.

You're ok with that... It's about 38x gallons per hour from your tank size. Some people are comfortable going as high as 50x...

The one fish ,black bar chromis, seems to be doing fine and i think the snails and hermits seem to be fine with it too. I have the two heads set up in opposite back corners pointed to the front center glass. There is one small spot in the front center where the sand seems to be pushed around but it is very minimal. Thank you for you inputs!

Back
Top Bottom