Powerloss question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agnate80700

Aquarium Advice Freak
With a reef tank in mind...

Say you have a power failure (summer thunderstorm lets say.) About how long would the tank be ok with the power out?

What size tank and how much stock? Oxygen is the major concern and that starts to be an issue around 6+ hours and if overstocked could be an issue in as little as 2-4 hours.

Lighting isn't an issue till after a week of power outage as long as you can keep the tank circulated. Typically power isn't out longer than a couple of hours in most places unless it's an ice/snow storm or hurricane related.

Do you have a backup plan?

i went out last year and got a PC battery back up. for when the power goes out i have my surge protector routed through that so when a power outage occurs its switchs automatically. u can get cheap ones. from wal-mart or circut city. the bigger ones are more $ but i see it as its a small price to pay for all the stuff i have in my tank.
but i think dr.fostrsmith.com sells some cool stuff to help out.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

HTH

I only have 1 ph hooked up to mine. Forget about hooking up a heater, it will suck the juice out really quickly.

If you hook up a battery backup to your tank, think about the GFIC implications I mention in this thread...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=90677&highlight=ups

Short story - make sure you have a GFI on the outlet side of your backup power supply or you might be in for a surprise if your GFI outlet back at your wall trips out, (the one your battery backup is plugged in to) and then your battery backup kicks in! 8O

Thanks for sharing that again!

As for the power outage issue it is best to have a pump that uses very little power on your backup system, what ever that may be. I faced this problem on Monday with the storms that came through my area. I was without power from 6:10am to 5:45pm. I was lucky that heating the water wasn't a problem as I heat with a wood stove. My problem was the water movement. I do not have a battery back up (UPS) system yet, so I had to imporvise. I used a car batter with a 12v converter that I was able to plug one pump into and ran it for the majority of the time the power was off. As has been stated heating and lighting are 2 things that aren't as important as water movement! I WILL be buying a UPS system for my tank so I don't have to worry again!

I have my ph hooked up to my excercise bike! LOL! Sorry, that is not true, but I just couldn't resist.

Back
Top Bottom