Preditor suggestions please....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DOMINATOR

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good day boys and girls, I have a 90 gallon( 4 ftr) that will be a predator tank very shortly....my guy suggested two triggers( Niger and piccasso) a snowflake eel and either a puffer or lionfish...Is this good or bad advice and does anyone have anything to share??? Thanks

I kept a snowflake in a 125 with 3 triggers. I had a Niger, half moon, and a pink tail. Everyone got along just fine, but keep in mind that triggers get big - the Niger especially. It will outgrow a 90 gallon tank. I had mine for over a year and noticed very little growth, so you would probably be fine for a while.

SBethH said:
I kept a snowflake in a 125 with 3 triggers. I had a Niger, half moon, and a pink tail. Everyone got along just fine, but keep in mind that triggers get big - the Niger especially. It will outgrow a 90 gallon tank. I had mine for over a year and noticed very little growth, so you would probably be fine for a while.

Edit: just thought I'd mention that the reason I no longer have them is because I gave the Niger and half moon away when I got a jeweled moray. I didn't want them becoming lunch. I still have the pink tail and snowflake.

It is not best to mix lionfish and triggers. Triggers are known to cut of the fins and spikes of the lionfish. Puffers are also very gentle fish and maybe picked on also by the triggers. Even though the lionfish and puffer are both poisons they are both very docile fish. Eels do have bad vision and they may get spiked by the lionfish unknowingly. I keep my zebra eel with a lionfish, but my lionfish tends to stay at the top of the tank where he can get to the food the fastest :p.

I have a Snowflake Eel, Niger Trigger, Humu Humu Trigger, Tomato Clown, Coral Beauty nd a Volatins Lion in my tank and have never had problem with any of them.

I have a Snowflake Eel, Niger Trigger, Humu Humu Trigger, Tomato Clown, Coral Beauty nd a Volatins Lion in my tank and have never had problem with any of them.

If you talk to most lionfish owners they do not recommend mixing them since triggers are known to attack lionfish. My zebra eel is not recommend to be in a tank with crabs or sea urchins since they are their main prey in the wild. My eel has been raised on frozen since he was hatched so he befriends crabs, sea urchins and shrimps. Each fish has its own personality and preferences. You are lucky to have known aggressive fish in a tank together living in harmony.

Back
Top Bottom