Pregnant guppy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skenny

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had some guppys for about two weeks now. How can I tell if they are pregnant and when they will drop. Do I need one of those breeding traps. I have a ten gallon cycling for fry now.

I'd pick up the breeding trap right away and have it on hand. Last week I had one of my platys giving birth in my 20 gallon. There are lots of floating plants in the tank so I thought some would survive. Alas, they were all stalked and eaten by other platys. No survivors. I picked up the breeder and have it on hand now. Your guppy will be very fat and look like she is about to burst. Don't put her in there until you think she can't get bigger. It stresses the mom out to be in the breeder. My plan is to keep checking daily and try to catch them in the act of birthing-then place her in the breeder. Once she is done having them-put her back with the rest of her tank mates.

Be sure your tank is cycled well before putting any fish in it-let alone sensitive fry. I'd keep them in the breeder so they stay in the water they are accustomed to. Fry are sensitive to hi levels of ammonia and nitrate *all fish are

I was going to use some media from my cycled canister for the fry tank. my guppies all have gravid spots, does that mean they are pregnant?

I don't think spots mean their preg but your guppy belly will look huge then you will know. Also like someone else said I recommend keeping the guppies in the breeder as they are sensitive. Depending on how many fry you get and the size of the breeder

The water in the growout tank will be pristine, I already bought all the stuff for this tank. It will be the same water as the maintank

Ok as long as the water from this tank is the same then it should be fine. Maybe consider putting the guppy in the 10g before they come out ?

I planned on that. But when do I put it in there? How do I know when?

Well you put her in there when it's done cycling and when she looks huge :)

Back
Top Bottom