Pregnant or Dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfishkid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've noticed that my dalmatian molly is has a much bigger belly and is having trouble swimming. She moves very slow and a bit lopsided despite her fins moving normally.

image-1347715583.jpg
image-4248670998.jpg

Hard for me to tell from those pics. When you look from the top down, do the fishes scales stick out like a pine cone?

Does the fish appear to float twords the top when it stops swimming? Look into swim bladder disease and see if anything seems to add up.

I agree, its likely pregnant, but just in case make sure to keep a close eye on her and the water parameters to be sure nothing comes up.

You should do a little research on fish meds and then choose one treat the tank if she is preggers this will stop the chance of babys getting a deaise

Turns out she was just having babies! She dropped around 15 fry last night and I was able to plop her in the breeder before they were born.

I have the same net, i noticed it gets really dirty after just about 2 weeks, because of all the food getting stuck and stuff! but goodjob! Whats your plan for them ?

I plan to keep 1-2 of them and if my friend has her tank set up, give a couple to her to raise. Honestly I'm not sure, my LFS doesn't take fry :(

Back
Top Bottom