pregnant platty yes or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big.Jon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I really thought this platty was good and pregnant due to her behavior and past experience with mollys droppin fry, but not 100% sure anymore. Just curious as to others opinions.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110719_130207.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110719_130207.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 130
  • ForumRunner_20110719_130245.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110719_130245.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 140
I would say yes to the pregnancy. But you may want to wait for another person to give their opinion too

Wow pretty platy!! We've had eight or so of them three of which got pregnant and had babies since we got tank in december!! there ace to watch give birth !! I'd say it's possible early days though keep an eye on watch her shape and she darkens round the area above the anal fin u'll defo know when she is believe me lol

So she ended up being pregnant!! Any idea as to how close she is to dropping fry if can clearly see lots of black eyes inside, and all near her anal fin. I mean obviously can't know for sure but are we talking days or still week or two?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110801_182306.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110801_182306.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 104
  • ForumRunner_20110801_182323.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110801_182323.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 106
Oooh how exciting! I am curious about fish pregnancies myself... so I'm going to sit in this thread too :D

Looking at it two days or two weeks who knows mine just had a second batch! last batch was three weeks ago, didn't look much different to ur picture IMO I'd say more likely one to two weeks, just keep ur eye on her look out for males hassling her that happened yesterday new baby found this morning

This is fun. I'm waiting for my platys to decide to have babies. Guppies, on the other hand, just can't seem to stop popping them out.

And Three and Half weeks later she finally drops her fry. It was a rough bunch of weeks for her. She only dropped about 10-13 fry. Which surprised me since the only other fish I have had that dropped fry dropped like 40ish maybe more (it was crazy). Anyways very hopeful that these guys will survive there was some rough points during her pregnancy (while I was cleaning her breeding trap I had her in a glass jar, and while my back was turned my 2 yr old daughter grabbed it and dumped her in a tank that was being prepared for cycling the problem was there was no heater in the tank and it shock the crap out of the prego platy).

Yeey :) can't wait to see them bigger. Platy fry are cool little dudes... I've had them survive harcore cleanings, gravel vacs, and complete tank moveovers (somehow) all in a comm. Tank. There pretty good at hiding

They are really active little guys, any suggestions on feeding them. Decided to put very ground up flake food in there not sure if their interested in it or not.

I feed mine ground up flakes or Hikari First Bites. Or you can hard boil an egg, take out the yoke, mash it up with water to form an egg yolk paste, and put a little bit of it in the tank. It will disperse in the water and is an excellent source of protein for the growing babies.

Well u may find In two weeks she may have more I had 50 at one point lol , I ground up flake food but I found they grew better in the tank than the breeding tank

Back
Top Bottom