Pregnant Puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animalparamedic

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Porcupine Puffer (2 of them - one darker than the other) and one (the lighter in color) has recently began "hiding" more often - i have also noticed that the fish's abdomen looks swollen or distended? the fish eats normally, and all of my parameters are normal... Could they have mated, or do you think something else is going on? Please help

I had a puffer that puffed up as a defense to an attacking crab. After he deflated himself the chest and skin was wrinkled and swollen still it took a week or so before he looked normal again.

animalparamedic said:
i have also noticed that the fish's abdomen looks swollen or distended?

This is usually a sign of a problem. You might want to feed your food soaked in selcon and garlic.

Bacterial infections can cause swollen stomachs, which in turn could make them feel ill, and cause them to hide more, in places like caves...

Due to the lack of success with breeding puffers in captivity, even by professionals, unfortunately my money is on a health problem rather than an expecting mother.

Thanks - the belly looks normal now... i dont think it was from "puffing up" as ive seen that before... ill try the selcon and garlic...

Back
Top Bottom