Preparing Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fathomed

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I got myself some slightly yellowish-brown water and I think it's the driftwood.

I didn't expect it to do anything but after looking around I noticed people saying it should be soaked ahead of time for about a week.

Should I take it out of my tank and soak it in water and then put it back in? Would that help?

Thanks~

You could boil it to help remove the tannins as well. The brown wont hurt anything and eventually will go away. Some people like the dark water look. Activated carbon in the filter changed every week or so will remove the color as well.

Yes you'll always want to boil rocks, wood, whatever you pick up from outside before putting it in your tank. The reason why you soak it is to make it water-logged.

The boiling of it is to kill any thing that might be living on it. Since it's already been in your tank, it's probably a bit late for that now. If you haven't had any issues, I wouldn't worry.

THe brown/yellow-ish water is from the tannins being leached by the wood. Like Lager said, it doesn't hurt anything, some people actually like it, and in actuality the fish like it too. Over time (months or more, depending on the size of the wood) it will stop doing this, however. Or, boiling it does as well help to force the tannins out of it so it will stop staining your water.

its not always safe to boil or bake rocks.... mine i leave out side in the sun then bleach them. bleach kills as well as heat and its safe. also carbon in the filter would help remove the yellow looking water.

I have brush algae on my driftwood and was wondering the best way to kill it. Boil it? I don't think using bleach on drift wood would be wise as it would probably soak it up.

Back
Top Bottom