preserving dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xander

Aquarium Advice Freak
Fish die. Its sad but they do. One died recently that I have had for over 10 years. I would like to preserve it as I don't feel I'll find another like it. It was a Bunocephalus amazonicus. I would like to keep this specimen in as preserved a condition as possible. I have wanted to do this with past fish as well but have never been prepared for it. I talked to a taxidermist guy who also preserves insects and said for fish that the best way was to preserve in alcohol. I am wondering if anyone has done this and if so if this method is satisfactory.

What about having someone make you an exact replica of the fish that you could hang on the wall? There are tons of fish reproduction companies that make works of art for mounting.....they usually serve catch & release anglers who want something for their walls....but I don't see why they wouldn't do deceased fish pets as well.

That is really cool. Note about preserving in alcohol, it can eventually lead to discoloration. Best way to remember him is to have a replica made :)

You can have him freeze dried. Never done it myself, but I saw it on...discovery channel...or maybe history channel. Some people do that with trophy fish and they are supposed to stay in mint condition for a long time.

I make a lot of fake rocks with an agrocrete type mixture I use for freshwater. I've always wanted to try pressing a dead fish into the mixture to make a psuedo-fossil. Probably not what you had in mind, but that way at least his "fossil" could go back into your tank, and it might look kinda neat.

Actually, that reminded me of something else that may be done...something I did a number of times whilst silersmithing, but something I have not done in a couple of years....use the dead fish as the basis for a 'live burn-out' mould (using the actual fish instead of a wax model)...you would get a sterling silver perfect reproduction (down to details like skin texture) of your fish. Problem is that it would be cheap enough to do if you owned the equipment, but probably $50+ to have a silversmith do.

Now that idea rocks. Would it get all the details of the fins and whatnot also? I would love to have a silver model of my fishies

Back
Top Bottom