Prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I see this product mentioned a lot on Aquarium forums.
Is there anything about Prime which is better than other dechlorinators?
I note that it's supposed to remove ammonia too, but at the same time I often read that ammonia removing products are not a good idea?!

I currently use "Interpet Bioactive Tapsafe" which claims to dechlorinate and remove metals and add bacteria but doesn't remove ammonia.

Prime is very hard to come by here, I've never seen it for sale in any shops and even online isn't universally available, is it worth going to the hassle of getting hold of some?

The reason that people like Prime so much, is that it is more concentrated than other dechlorinators. This makes it less expensive than the others.

Prime doesn't remove the Ammonia, it just converts it to a non toxic form so that it doesn't harm the fish. This is necessary in areas where there is Ammonia in the water (common when Chloramine is used instead of Chlorine) like it is in mine. This gives time for the biofilter to make use of the Ammonia without harming the fish.

I've never heard of the dechlorinator that you're using before. There are lots of good dechlorinators out there, so no need to go to the extra expense of getting a hold of Prime if it isn't available in your area.

It seems to be the main dechlorinator sold by stores around here, it says

"[SIZE=-1] removes chlorine, chloramine and also heavy metals, this allows even hot tap water to be used as part of a water change mix. Bioactive Tapsafe adds an Aloe Vera protective colloid that creates a protective barrier around the fishes delicate skin and gill membranes. Uniquely, Bioactive Tapsafe also adds a culture of bacteria and enzymes that consume any excess biological waste in the aquarium and boosts filter performance.".

Also my water has chlorine but not chloramine, so I guess it's less of an issue.
[/SIZE]

I'd probably switch to something that doesn't have so many extras. It should just remove chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals. The other stuff is generally hype and may be harmful instead of beneficial.

I'd probably switch to something that doesn't have so many extras. It should just remove chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals. The other stuff is generally hype and may be harmful instead of beneficial.

I've been wondering that for a while tbh. Especially as I'm doing lots of water changes at the moment due to ammonia problems, thus I'm using a lot of treatment too.

PS. I also have some Tetra Aquasafe I got free with my new tank.

I like Prime because as stated, it lasts forever. It binds to ammonia, making it non-toxic, and also helps with the nitrites and nitrates. It also helps with the slime coat.
I have never seen Prime that removes heavy metals, and I sometimes use Kordon Rid Metals if there is alot in the water.

directly from their website (http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html) ...

Prime® is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime® removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime® converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime® may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime® detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels. Prime® also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. Prime® is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime® will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.

I use prime, like many others, because it is just more cost efficient because of its concentration

+1 It's all about gallons treated per dollar. That leaves more money to blow on other stuff for the tanks.

i just like the smell... ha!

im not exactly sure of gallons per dollar.. but i dont actually think its the cheapest... according to http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com

Prime: 500 ml @ $11.89 treats 5,000 gallons = 420 gallons per dollar
API conditioner: 16oz (473 ml) @ $5.69 treats 9,600 gallons = 1,687 gallons per dollar
AquaSafe: 16.9 oz @ $8.49 treats 1,000 gallons = 117 gallons per dollar

is my math right?

You LIKE the smell? What does it smell like to you?

i just like the smell... ha!

im not exactly sure of gallons per dollar.. but i dont actually think its the cheapest... according to http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com

Prime: 500 ml @ $11.89 treats 5,000 gallons = 420 gallons per dollar
API conditioner: 16oz (473 ml) @ $5.69 treats 9,600 gallons = 1,687 gallons per dollar
AquaSafe: 16.9 oz @ $8.49 treats 1,000 gallons = 117 gallons per dollar

is my math right?

OK, OK, I use it to, the question is...

has anyone ever done any tests to see what it actually does?

I think it would be nice to know the exact chemistry of the activity.
I guess I am a bit suspicious of aqua-chemical claims, as I recently tested some bio-filter additives and found that the Seachem product, Stability, didn't make nitrates in my test scenario--it stalled at NO2-.

You get false positive readings, which is why you are still seeing nitrates.

From Seachem's website:

Prime® also contains a binder which renders ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate non-toxic. It is very important to understand how those two functions work together. All dechlorinators operate through a chemical process known as reduction. In this process, toxic dissolved chlorine gas (Cl2) is converted into non-toxic chloride ions (Cl-). The reduction process also breaks the bonds between chlorine and nitrogen atoms in the chloramine molecule (NH2Cl), freeing the chlorine atoms and replacing them with hydrogen (H) to create ammonia (NH3).

http://www.seachem.com/Library/Articles/The_Art_and_Science_of_Aquarium_Management.pdf

http://www.seachem.com/Library/SeaGrams/Ammonia_Management.pdf

Here is the info on Stability:

Seachem. Stability

Here is a little info on the nitrate stuff:

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=2679

Back
Top Bottom