Problem with Dwarf Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greahound

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I have a course that requires you to care for fish in-class to see if you would be an adequate fish owner or not. I used to be in one group, but I moved classes due to a scheduling mistake, and after I started caring for different fish in another group's tank, my previous tank got... Horribly mistreated. They let the algae go wild, overfed, didn't turn on the light ever, reached into the tank a lot, stressed the fish by purposefully scaring them, etc. Needless to say the fish all died except for one dwarf gourami (which I had bought at the beginning of the year), so I obviously stole him to keep him safe at the end of the year since they weren't taking him home (with permission from the teacher, of course).

He used to act very depressed in that tank. He would always hide and would barely move to go eat. After I moved him to my group's tank, he would come out and actually swim around with the other fish. He looked way happier and got a bit brighter. Then, a week or so later, I moved him to my tank at home. He swims around a ton, but he always seems to be darting across the glass really fast, and sometimes he curls up at his own reflection. He did not do this in the first or the second tank.

Is this normal for a year-old dwarf gourami? I heard it happens a lot in new fish, so is he just getting used to his new territory? Does he possibly think his reflection is another male, and will he grow out of this behavior? I'm attaching a picture of the tank; sorry for the fogginess, I just put in a water clarification product!

Attachments

• 20190511_085602.jpg
    20190511_085602.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 107
Yeah he might just be chasing his reflection. I had a betta that did that at the back of her tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom