Problem With My Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jinkel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a Penguin Marineland 150, and lately I've noticed that water isn't flowing (back into the tank) through the filters cartridges very well. As a matter of fact, an equal amount of water pours from the overflow(?) "chute" as from the filter "chute".

I took apart the what pieces I could and cleaned them, just in case (i.e., intake tube, impeller housing, etc.). But no change. It seems to suck the water up just fine, but sending it back through the filter cartridges is not going so well.

Then I spent about 40 minutes cleaning both filter cartridges (my filter has slots for two, so I use two) in old tankwater when I did a water change the other day. But it didn't seem to make a difference in the water flow. If I remove one filter cartridge, the water flow improves quite a bit. Should I only use one filter cartridge? The cartridges are far from falling apart. They seem in pretty good shape, just "swollen" from water and whatnot, so I didn't think I should put new ones in. But I'm also unsure of running the filter with only one cartridge - as I've got three goldies - and I thought the more cartridges the better?

I've got a Penguin Marineland 150, and lately I've noticed that water isn't flowing (back into the tank) through the filters cartridges very well. As a matter of fact, an equal amount of water pours from the overflow(?) "chute" as from the filter "chute".

I took apart the what pieces I could and cleaned them, just in case (i.e., intake tube, impeller housing, etc.). But no change. It seems to suck the water up just fine, but sending it back through the filter cartridges is not going so well.

Then I spent about 40 minutes cleaning both filter cartridges (my filter has slots for two, so I use two) in old tankwater when I did a water change the other day. But it didn't seem to make a difference in the water flow. If I remove one filter cartridge, the water flow improves quite a bit. Should I only use one filter cartridge? The cartridges are far from falling apart. They seem in pretty good shape, just "swollen" from water and whatnot, so I didn't think I should put new ones in. But I'm also unsure of running the filter with only one cartridge - as I've got three goldies - and I thought the more cartridges the better?

You can never have enough filtration in general, with 3 goldies (me too :D) that goes double, if not triple. I'm not a big fan of cartridge filters just because there's not a lot of media to catch detritus or to colonize bacteria. If the carts have carbon in them and they've been in for a while, the carbon can go bad and actually cause problems. I'd suggest for the short term, is to remove the carbon by cutting the fiber (small holes) on the backside of the cartridges and shake/pick it out and that might help some. In the long run, I'd suggest you look at the Aqua Clear line of HOB filters and pick one that's rated for double your tank size.

I have the same filter and once in a while the same problem.
I noticed that the double cartridge has a lo to do with the problem, but not all. My best solution is to rinse th cartridges in tank water every two weeks to maintain the flow.

I'd suggest for the short term, is to remove the carbon by cutting the fiber (small holes) on the backside of the cartridges and shake/pick it out and that might help some.

First of all, thanks again for replying so quickly to my post! Thank you thank you thank you! :D

The cartridges are black slotted plastic on the back, then the front is blue wiry/spongy material. In between is what I believe to be, chunky pieces of carbon. So, to clarify - I should snip little holes in the blue material, and try to get out the carbon? So the carbon isn't really necessary? Or is it better to just put a fresh cartridge in (with fresh carbon)?

jinkel said:
First of all, thanks again for replying so quickly to my post! Thank you thank you thank you! :D

The cartridges are black slotted plastic on the back, then the front is blue wiry/spongy material. In between is what I believe to be, chunky pieces of carbon. So, to clarify - I should snip little holes in the blue material, and try to get out the carbon? So the carbon isn't really necessary? Or is it better to just put a fresh cartridge in (with fresh carbon)?

Oh, those kind of carts. Nope, I'd suggest snipping 1 or 2 of the black bars off and the carbon should come out easy enough. That blue material is really quite good and will last a long time, just rinse it tank water after a PWC. I used to stuff a cut down sponge in that carbon area (sans carbon) and it worked grea for filtering.

I have the same filter and once in a while the same problem.
I noticed that the double cartridge has a lo to do with the problem, but not all. My best solution is to rinse th cartridges in tank water every two weeks to maintain the flow.

Thanks for the input, Edgar. :) I've actually been rinsing the cartridges every week (when I do my water changes), but while the cartridge "fabric" seems a bit cleaner after rinsing, once I put them both back in their slots, the water flow doesn't improve. It's been beyond frustrating.

Oh, those kind of carts. Nope, I'd suggest snipping 1 or 2 of the black bars off and the carbon should come out easy enough. That blue material is really quite good and will last a long time, just rinse it tank water after a PWC. I used to stuff a cut down sponge in that carbon area (sans carbon) and it worked grea for filtering.

Okay! So I snipped the back of the cartridge, and managed to work out the carbon pieces. The water is flowing like crazy now - thank you!

As far as the second cartridge, I'm not sure what to do. I didn't snip the back of that one yet, as it took me about 30 minutes to "empty" the first cartridge, and my two boys are going a little bonkers in the house so I'm gonna take them out for a while. :D I just rinsed it like crazy, and slid it 2/3rd of the way back into its slot. Would you recommend getting rid of the carbon in that one, too?

jinkel said:
Okay! So I snipped the back of the cartridge, and managed to work out the carbon pieces. The water is flowing like crazy now - thank you!

As far as the second cartridge, I'm not sure what to do. I didn't snip the back of that one yet, as it took me about 30 minutes to "empty" the first cartridge, and my two boys are going a little bonkers in the house so I'm gonna take them out for a while. :D I just rinsed it like crazy, and slid it 2/3rd of the way back into its slot. Would you recommend getting rid of the carbon in that one, too?

Yes, I would remove the carbon if it were me. If the 2nd cart is in front of the first (meaning down stream as the water flows) then I'd suggest that you put sponge in that chamber too, or use poly-fil (pillow stuffing from fabric shops) it that one and make sure it doesn't have any fire retardant in it (Fairfield brand is what I use). It'll polish the water really well and once it's filled (brown with detritus), just pull it out and put new stuff in.

Back
Top Bottom