Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

13stingeln

Aquarium Advice Activist
So It seems like one by one my fish start to stop eating and than die. I've lost 2 within a month and my jewel isn't eating. But all the other ones are acting fine. My ph is at 7.5 is that to low? Everything else looks fine. What could it be?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How often to you feed?

125gal Oscar ( soon to swap with 75gal ) , 55gal African Cichlids , 75gal waiting for oscar , 10gal ???, 56gal soon to be a planted angel tank

It is highly unlikely that low pH is your issue.

What fish are left in your tank at this point?

I have my zebra obliquen a ob peacock a electric blue johanni and a jewel and an acei. My jewel looks fat? I feed them twice a day at 11:30 and than 10:30pm. Am I over feeding? What is bloat and how do I help him???

As for overfeeding, it depends how much you feed twice per day.

Do you have current pics?

As for the reason they are dying, do they look stressed? Are they hiding before they die?

When you feed does everyone get food or does one fish dominate the tank?

Well the one that dominated was my albino pindani and he was the first to die. He hid in my rock and stopped eating but would chase people out of it. After two days of that he died. And than my yellow lab died like a week after that unexpectedly he only had one eye so he hid often. And my jewel has stopped eating and is always at the bottom she looks really fat and has a red spot on her anus...she does swim some though when I turn the light off. My other fish seem fine just don't know if she's a girl or boy and if it's bloat... ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412192090.985479.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412192145.046491.jpg the second picture is when I first got her and the fist one is now

The only one that looks stressed is the smaller one my acei that swims crazy all over the place but he didn't hide?

You may want to think about replacing the gravel you have in your tank and put in aragonite sand. The aragonite sand will raise your pH, and the fish love to dig in it.

Ok I was thinking about that but I use w gravel vaccum when I do water changes, is it possible to still use that? Or will it suck up the sand also I don't want a cloudy mess does that stuff settle? It seems messy for me

You should not pick up sand as long as you hover your gravel cleaner just over the surface of your substrate. You can also get crushed aragonite that is very similar to gravel and will have the same effect on your pH. What size is your tank?

Honestly, while there is nothing wrong with using argonite I would figure out what is going on with your fish/tank before changing out the substrate. This is probably going to be fairly stressful for the fish while you are doing it.

You feed twice a day? For how long each feeding? What are you feeding them? 7.5 is fine for cichlids my Ph is 7.4 and have had many babies from my mbunas.

I feed once a day 6 days a week only as much as they will consume within 2 minutes or when more than a few pellets are left on the bottom.

Try not feeding for 36hrs then give them boiled frozen peas de-shelled of course it helps to clean out there system. I do this the day before I don't feed them.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feed them flakes and blood worms. I feed them as much as they can eat in about 3 minutes.

How often on blood worms ??

125gal Waiting for C/A cichlids , 55gal African Cichlids , 75gal "wet pet "oscar , 10gal soon to be planted shrimp/snail/endler breeder tank , 56gal soon to be a planted angel tank or Dwarf Puffer tank

The blood worms will cause bloat. I personally would only feed blood worms once a week IF at all. I don't feed at all. They're too high in protein. I use regular fish food because it has everything they need (I have read to avoid ones with a % of ash) and once or twice a week i will treat them with some frozen brine shrimp. It is also something to not feed often along with the bloodworms. Also, with the couple fish you have I would only feed what they can eat in about 30 seconds. That should be plenty of time for them all to get some.

Oh gosh I had no idea I fed them alittle pinch once a day... Of the blood worms. So only feed them that once a week if that???

Yes I would say once a week or so :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom