Problems with micro bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bikerbabe156

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a beginner with a 180 g reef tank. I am having micro bubbles and am unsure of how the set up should be. The aquarium has two returns on the back on each side. Both return areas have bubbles in them. Is this how it should be????:confused:

Sump we have but I don't know what a bubble trap is. Please advise. We have lots of bubbles coming out of our return.

Google sump bubble trap. it's 3 dividers all placed fairly close together that diffuse the bubles before getting to the return pump. if possible try placing some filter floss between one of the dividers after the protein skimmer.

Actually we do have that in our sump. And still we have micro bubbles. We have some sponge type filter in 2 of them. There is a ton of bubbles coming out of the return into the area where the skimmer is. He just put a sock on that side. Don't know if that will help or not.

To minimize bubbles just use a filter sock on skimmer outlet until you have the bubble trap installed. If you can reposition skimmer away from return pump that would also help. You might also need to fine tune your skimmer.

Our bubble trap has the walls about 3 inches apart. Is that too far apart?

We have finally found that it is indeed the return pump that is causing the air bubbles. So could it be the impeller or is it time to replace the pump?

One cause of those bubbles is a restriction of your suction in return pump or the water level is low that it sucks air. If both are clear then yes you might need a new pump. The impeller blade might have been damaged by some foreign object.

bulkhead fitting on the return side of the sump is 1.5". sump has 1.5" ball valve between sump and return pump. Pipe size out of the ball valve is reduced down to .75". Also has a 90 degree .75" elbow.

So you have an external pump? You must have a loose connection on your piping between the return pump and the sump. Most likely at the ball valve. You might need a new ball valve and make sure it is tight enough by using a pvc cement. There is enough vibration on that pump that would loosen those connections. Post a pic of sump for easy analysis.

Thank you so much for helping us. Sorry I didn't get back sooner but we went to Knoxville to the store. We are in the process of replumbing the pump area. It is a real mess! There is a problem there for sure. :banghead::thanks:

Back
Top Bottom