Profit margin on sea horses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuclear Queen

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sea horse breeding and selling: how much would you make (estimation) vs how much it would cost.
Just guesstimate here, I know nothing of sea horse prices.

I would say no profit, you would have to setup a tank for them which will run from $250 up ten have to buy the horses. They are usually $30-75 depending on species. Then have to culture your own live food or get them eating frozen. Then you have to get them to breed. I think it would take quite a while to just make your money back.

Profitting from breeding marine specimens is like creating Pharmaceutical medications.The first pill costs millions of dollars, the second pill on costs "bupkis." lol
Translate that to fish, all of the things bribo12 said is correct plus you have to have all the things in place for WHEN or IF the event happens. You could go for years and not get them to breed or you could have success right away. The next step is that seahorse young are not really agile at finding foods. In a recent documentary I saw about seahorses, it took some of the hatcheries trying to raise the horses multiple tries to get enough food to the ponies in order to get them to survive. You will need to experience all that in order to know what you need. That can get expensive.
So all in all, you need to be prepared to spend a lot of money until you get the system down.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom