Proper feeding amount?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryukins

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been feeding my fancies twice a day as much as they can eat in 2-3 mins for 2 months and they do not seem to have grown much. Also my fish do not look as fat as some of the other fancy goldfish I have seen. I am wondering if I am feeding too little? One thing that is surprising though is that they are not eating any of my plants from what I have seen so far.

I usually feed about a dime sized amount of sinking hikari lionhead mini pellets. I also feed freeze dried bloodworms, occasional flakes, and hikari floating baby pellets.My 3 fish are all about 2 inches long excluding the fin. Should I be feeding them more?

My water params today:
0 ammonia
0 nitirite
~2 nitrate (somewhere between the first yellow and the second one in the API kit)
7.8 ph

It usually goes up to 5 nitrates after 3-4 days and then I do a 50% water change to bring it back down.

You're feeding them enough, goldfish create a lot of waste, so you don't want to feed anymore maybe a bit less. In my experience, goldfish will grow with their tank. If the tank is rather small they tend to stay the same size.

If they havent grown at all in 2mths, your not feeding them enough. Up their lionhead pellet meals to atleast 4x a day in addition to other foods- they require a large amount of protien to grow well. Please go to this site 'The Goldfish Keepers' and check out the sticky on feeding in the section "All Questions From Newbies'. I would post the link but for some reason the links from this site never work. :)

Thanks for the link, there is a lot of useful information there specific for Goldfish that is harder to find here. Interesting, they suggest to weigh the fish and feed 2-5% of the body weight.

Lots of great info on this site- there isnt quite the amount of members as AA & the response time for questions is a bit slower but the majority of the members are all serious goldie fanatics & breeders so they can offer LOTS of great advice & info on goldies. Goldies need alot more food than people realize...

Back
Top Bottom