Proper Procedures For Successful Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Now that I have successfully set up, cycled, stocked, showed off and enjoyed may tank for two months it is basically dead. Everything seemed fine on Sunday and on Monday morning two of my fish were covered with ick and now 3 of the 5 have died. The other two don't look like they are going to make it.

So, I figured I better "read the directions."

From what I am seeing it appears I should have a QT tank for my fish before I ever put them into the main tank. I will read the article about a QT tank and set one up.

I do have a few questions. Lets assume I let my main tank sit now for 4-6 weeks to break the ick cycle. Are there any chemicals that can speed things up or should I just wait? Can I set up the QT tank and begin to place a fish or two in it? If you have a fish in the QT tank for its 4 weeks and decide to buy another fish, is it ok to go ahead and put that new fish in the QT tank or do you have to do quarantine at a time?

Are there any resources I should read other than the QT articles in other posts?

Thanks

Frustrated in SC

Are there any chemicals that can speed things up or should I just wait
IMO I would never add any meds to the main display tank...

Can I set up the QT tank and begin to place a fish or two in it
I would setup the QT tank and place all remaing fish in the QT tank and either Treat with copper or HypoSalinity and leave them in the QT tank for a min of 4 weeks

If you have a fish in the QT tank for its 4 weeks and decide to buy another fish, is it ok to go ahead and put that new fish in the QT tank or do you have to do quarantine at a time?
QT all fish for 4 weeks prior to adding them in the main tank.. If there is a fish already in the Qt tank and you place another fish in the QT with it you must start the time over again... QT is basically making sure that nothing else may get the disease that it may have...

Are there any resources I should read other than the QT articles in other posts
A good book would be the Concientious Marine Aquarist as well as the SW articles in the articles section.. Also spend some time browsing thru other posts in this and other forums that are simular to the questions that you ask.. There is a search feature at the top of the page that is very helpful as well.. If you cant find the Answer to something or have more questions Feel Free To ask..

HTH,
James

Thanks. Very helpful.

One other question. I don't (think) I have an alge problem, but I do have some red alge growing. I have not seen anything on this in the forums, is red OK?

One other question. I don't (think) I have an alge problem, but I do have some red alge growing. I have not seen anything on this in the forums, is red OK
IMO all algae except the Macro algaes that are for sale in the LFS are a problem.. If it looks like Hair or Grass then it would be the notorious Hair Algae. If you remove it manually or get some dwarf zebra Hermits it should be taken care of rather quickly.. If it looks like slime then it would be a cyano algae which is usually due to not enough flow in that particular area.. Manually removing it and increasing flow a bit usually solves that issue as well..

HTH<
James

Back
Top Bottom