Pros and cons of live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pros (among many)
1. A more realistic environment
2. Provides O2 during photosynthesis
3. Soaks up ammo and nitrates
4. Can help with algae control
5. They just look better!

Cons (among a few)
1. Have to Purchase the necessary equipment (lights, CO2 etc)
2. Decaying plant material can rot causing ammo spikes
3. Can have snails
4. Need to fertilize for proper growth

Out of all the cons ... none should really be considered a determent to getting plants. All of these can handled with minimum effort. It starts with the proper lighting and then maybe you may need to dose CO2. If your only dealing with low-light plants ... dosing CO2 is not necessary. You can buy liquid ferts and root tabs, or make your own. As for snails, proper inspection before adding them to your tank should take care of it. I soak new plants in a Hydrogen Peroxide bath ... amazing how many snails are left behind in the bowl.

The pros of having live plants out weight the cons, IMO. Just do your research on the types of plants before you go and buy them. I work at a LFS and so many people come in and expect to be able to put a plant clearly labeled as semi aquatic, full submerged in their tank. Or for their Amazon Swords to grow in a low-light tank.

If you don't want anything special as far as lighting goes, check out crypts, java ferns, anubias, etc.

On a side note: Jcolon- the peroxide doesn't harm the plants at all? Thats awesome idea!

On a side note: Jcolon- the peroxide doesn't harm the plants at all? Thats awesome idea!

Haven't lost one plant yet(y)

First time I heard about it I was dumbfounded ... SURELY H2O2 would kill the plants!?

But I've read from members (The first time I heard was from my buddy Eco23) that tried it with success ... snails were dropping like flies. It's not straight Peroxide, I do a 50 - 50 with tap. First time I tried it on some crypt ... had at least a 6 snails left in the cup. I only dipped it for 1 min.

I work at a LFS and so many people come in and expect to be able to put a plant clearly labeled as semi aquatic, full submerged in their tank. Or for their Amazon Swords to grow in a low-light tank.

If you don't want anything special as far as lighting goes, check out crypts, java ferns, anubias, etc.

+1 ... So true! Plenty of plants sold at LFS are NOT AQUATIC. See the link below for typical LFS sold Non-Aquatics. They'll eventually die, rot and foul your tank. Some can have the roots submerged as long as the leaves are out of the water ... but not fully submerged.

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

i just grabbed a sword & a cypherus 'grass plant looking thing' (name? spelling?) ..

i'm using an 8000k florescent strip on the tank. will i be ok? i now know the sword will outgrow my 10gal but i can replant it in a 55gal when it does

i need to add some more plants but know diddle about CO2 or what nutrients to add since i didnt fertilize.

any help would be appreciated.

sorry if i'm hijacking the thread lol it'll probably help everyone though :)

Back
Top Bottom