Pros and cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kronasaur

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are some pros and cons on bluejaw triggerfish and fox face because I am thinking of getting one of each or one or the other. I have a 90 gal reef tank with 2 clowns 1 clown fairy wrasse 1 bangi cardinal and 1 fire fish.

A trigger may rearrange your rocks in the reef. Blue jaws are however the most "reef safe" trigger from my research. Some don't eat snail or hermits, one or the other, or will eat both, depends on the fish. They are usually considered to be one of the least aggressive also but I may still worry with small fish like that.

A fox face is venomous, so you will have to be careful EVERY time you work in your tank but are also good algae eaters.

My favorite of the two is the trigger but I would just air on the side of caution. However, if you have seen vivid aquariums 800gl they have a mated pair and with A LOT of small fish but its still 800gl it's on YouTube if you have not seen it before

Mr. D said:
A trigger may rearrange your rocks in the reef. Blue jaws are however the most "reef safe" trigger from my research. Some don't eat snail or hermits, one or the other, or will eat both, depends on the fish. They are usually considered to be one of the least aggressive also but I may still worry with small fish like that.

A fox face is venomous, so you will have to be careful EVERY time you work in your tank but are also good algae eaters.

My favorite of the two is the trigger but I would just air on the side of caution. However, if you have seen vivid aquariums 800gl they have a mated pair and with A LOT of small fish but its still 800gl it's on YouTube if you have not seen it before

Ok thnx I have read that the fox face venom is that of a bee sting and just depends how allergic u are to it

A foxface does have venemous dorsal spines, but they're also a very timid fish. The spines are protection in case something tries to bite on them.
Triggers just make me nervous, hear a lot of stories about them going crazy one day and killing everything in the tank, even after being tank mates for a while.

I have a juvi fox face in my reef and they are pretty timid. They are venomous,but the chances of you getting clipped by it are pretty slim. Keep aware and you should be ok. Also, make sure their is a constant availability of greens (romaine, nori, algae pellets or discs). They are grazers.

Good luck!

Rosesrblu1 said:
I have a juvi fox face in my reef and they are pretty timid. They are venomous,but the chances of you getting clipped by it are pretty slim. Keep aware and you should be ok. Also, make sure their is a constant availability of greens (romaine, nori, algae pellets or discs). They are grazers.

Good luck!

Can u show me a pic of your fox face because I've never herd of the juvi fox face before

I live my fox. He is a bit shy though and i wish he wasnt. I also hear they can munch on zoas?? Mine hasnt

I vote fox. That trig will outgrow a 4' tank also. I have 2 triggers and believe min 6' tank required. And just be careful when going in the tank and you'll be fine!

Juvi, meaning baby. I don't have a pic, but now he is about 2 inches for tip to tail. Cute little bugger for my 54g reef. When he is bigger, I'll move him to the 180g. I had one before that I gave to my fish guy. He was 6-7 inches and thick. Great fish!!

I found these algae grazer discs from new era that mine likes. My spot breast angel likes them too.

Back
Top Bottom