Protein Skimmer HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suprised

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set up a Red Sea Prizm Protein Skimmer. The colletcion cup filled with clean water in less than 3 minutes and is now flowing down the air tube and also out of a small hole in the right front part of the top. I need to know if this is normal and i should continue operation. The water flowing down the air tube has me quite alarmed. I also need to know how i know when to empty the collection cup as the d*mn isreali instructions dont seem to cover it at all.

Being a new skimmer they can do that. Is this a deluxe or basic model? Sounds like the deluxe if you have an airhose hooked up to the collection cup. I would suggest you turn down the velocity of the water for a few days until the skimmer had had time to "season" itself. Once broken in, just slowly increase the water flow until you start getting a dry fowm. Also be sure the air injection is turned up quite high to get as much foam fractioning as possible.

One note, if you use any water coinditioners that contain aloe; the skimmer will continue to perform this way until the aloe is removed from the water. I have the Prizm deluxe and it works quite well once it's tuned correctly.

Cheers
Steve

Do you use any water conditioners that say they enhance the slime coating of the fish?

If so then thats why your skimmer is going psycotic. Skimmers also have a period of time after you install them where they need to break in. The break in procedures is different for each skimmer.

You empty the cup when you want to or when its close to being full. This usually is every few days to a week apart. (depending on your tank and skimmer).

IMO, a regular Prizm isn't enough for a 45 gal tank. I wouldn't use one on anything over a 20. On the other hand, if money is tight right now, it would be much better than nothing. When you could upgrade it, I would suggest an Aqua C Remora with a Maxi Jet pump and a surface skimmer. Then you'll have the Prizm for that nano reef you've always wanted to start :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Back
Top Bottom