protein skimmer pump making heat rise...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarded

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have an external return pump for my sump, however, i have a mag 7 internal pump in my sump that runs my ev-180 skimmer. it is causing my water temp to rise to 84 degrees. if i turn off the skimmer pump, my water temp drops to 80 or 81.

my question...

would it be detrimental to just run my sump pump half a day? maybe put it on a timer and cycle it on and off every four hours?

if you turn off your return pump how will the water get back up to the tank?

It is best to keep the temp stable, turn it on and off will cause too many temp fluctuations which might stress your livestock. A fan or a chiller might be the best option to help keep your temp stable.

sorry, i meant cycling my skimmer pump, not my return pump.

i have a heater so i thought i would raise the heater temp to 82 so that when i cycle the skimmer pump, the temp will not fluctuate much.

I run my skimmer from 7am-11pm on a timer (and I'm probably going to cut that back) so I don't have to listen to it while I'm sleeping. I've experienced no ill effects. It skims everything it's going to in the first few hours anyway.

I have the same Mag7 EV180 combo, and it doesn't add nearly that much heat.

It doesn't seem like a healthy Mag7 could raise the temp 75Gal of water that much, I'm wondering if its defective.

Do you have a glass cover? That could be trapping the heat in some. May want to get some eggcrate at HD and allow it to vent. You will have to up the top offs a bit, but that may help if your tank is covered.

Back
Top Bottom