Protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dhiy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any suggestions on a protein skimmer? I have a 55g. I only have a firefish, pair of clowns a cleaner shrimp and a cuc right now. I'm planning on making it a reef set up.
I know you get what you pay for but is there one that is a good value?

I have a red sea prizm on my 36 gallon it works great my nitrates dropped real fast when I got it and the deluxe model has a place for activated carbon in it check ebay for them

Love our reef octopus 8 in sump skimmer! Great deal through marine depot (it was on sale). Skims a cup of... Ummm ... Crap out of our tank every few days. They are fairly big units though so make sure you have the space before considering.

I don't have a sump though. Will that b a problem??

It would be for an in sump skimmer. Lol You should check out the hang on back models. I believe reef octopus makes one but there are several brands that do. For skimmers, our choices came down to reef octopus and ASM. The reef octopus won because we found it on sale.

How much for an octopus brand for a 55g?

I have the exact size tank you do with a reef octopus skimmer. I have the dual skimmer HOB. I paid 150 for it online. It's a monster skimmer. It's two skimmers in one. Bad stuff: it's ugly. The two large pumps go in the tank. Also it took about 3 weeks to break in and I always had to adjust my collection cups and the directions SUCK! But after the break in period it was an animal. Pulls out the nastiest stuff you can imagine. Also pretty quiet for a large powerful skimmer. I guess if you want it to work for your water quality and not worry about aesthetics it's great. I just hid mine behind a mountain of live rock. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom