Puffer Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two Green Spotted Puffers in a 55 gallon tank.

-0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrate
-Fluval 306
-Extensive decor that breaks up lines of sight and provides hiding places
-Both are juveniles (1.75in) and were added at the same time

Recently, one has become much more aggressive towards the other, resulting in a bloodied lip and a damaged tail fin. His aggression is not constant, but it is consistent. What usually happens is they swim around like normal and every few minutes the more aggressive one will start swimming towards the other, get close like he will bite him and the other swims off before he can do so. Obviously, given the injuries (which I did not witness) this is not always the case. The other has also become much skinner, I assume from the stress.

What can I do to reduce this aggression? I've tried rearranging decor and "time outs". I'm close to taking the aggressive one back.

It was suggested to me to add one or two more, do you think this would work? I would not keep 4 GSP's in a 55 gallon in adulthood, don't worry - these will be going in a 75 or 90g marine tank once full grown, so that's not the issue. What I want to know is do you think it'll work right now. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you can add more and have a plan for them in the future (and it seems like you do) I would do so.

EDIT: You could also make a divider using light diffuser / egg crate

Back
Top Bottom