Puffer info please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know anything about freshwater puffer fish my gf seen some they were all green with black spots if u have any info about them please enlighten me thank u

It sounds like a green spotted puffer, possibly, which is brackish. They can survive in freshwater for a while, but will not thrive, they will die.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

xfactor6699 said:
Does anyone know anything about freshwater puffer fish my gf seen some they were all green with black spots if u have any info about them please enlighten me thank u

My GF wants me to set her up for a pair of Green Spotted Puffers (GSP is what you discribed) too lol.

They're brackish water fish though and I'm not sure if they're good in FW. Someone here acclimated them to full SW, but is going to return them to BW. Do a search here and lots of info from google too.

Following for sure :).

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

I have owned a gsp they are extremely aggressive will eat almost anything

I've been searching lfs and can't find any yet but wally world has some they are selling as freshwater searching for more info hope more of u can help too thanks

xfactor6699 said:
I've been searching lfs and can't find any yet but wally world has some they are selling as freshwater searching for more info hope more of u can help too thanks

Speaking of Walmart, I felt so sorry for the pleco they had in with the GSPs. I saw one try to attack his fins, as they often do, and then somewhere I saw them keeping a peaceful community fish with the GSPs. It made me so mad!

xfactor6699 said:

Everything I've read/found about them, is that they're brackish water only. I agree with the comment that they might live in FW for a while, but live a short stressful life ending badly. I'm not inclined to do that to any fish myself.

Thanks for everything they seem like they are very high maintenance for what I have so I think I will pass on these beauties for now

xfactor6699 said:
Thanks for everything they seem like they are very high maintenance for what I have so I think I will pass on these beauties for now

Same here. I would like to own one someday, but they are not for beginners like me!

Well that's just sad..to put them in freshwater :( They are brackish as juveniles and need full salt as they mature.

They might have been dwarf puffers? I've seen DPs at Walmart, and they are FW.

Please more info or experiences please with the dwarf puffer. My roomate want to get one for our 38g FW tank but I don't know much about them. And i too have seen these fish at walmart as fresh water going for about 5 bucks

Dwarf Puffers : Home is a great resource for DPs. There's really everything you need to know there.
Mr Limpet: they look similar, not identical, IMO. They have a spotting-type pattern. I think you'd have to judge for yourself.

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
Dwarf Puffers : Home is a great resource for DPs. There's really everything you need to know there.
Mr Limpet: they look similar, not identical, IMO. They have a spotting-type pattern. I think you'd have to judge for yourself.

Great link Jena, thanks!

But the ones we saw at walmart didn't look like the pics on that site. They looked just like a small (younger maybe?) version of GSP we saw at our LFS. My GF likes them best.

Thanks again.

Ok now I'm confused. I haven't had puffers yet but I've been researching them for a long time. Aren't those puffers the same as these I was planning on ordering for my brackish tank: Dwarf Puffers ? I thought only those little red eyed puffers could thrive in freshwater...

siva said:
Ok now I'm confused. I haven't had puffers yet but I've been researching them for a long time. Aren't those puffers the same as these I was planning on ordering for my brackish tank: Dwarf Puffers ? I thought only those little red eyed puffers could thrive in freshwater...

The GSP have a more square head/face, DP pics I see on google images are more pointy faced. Spots look similar, but that's about it IMHO. The puffers we saw at walmart were already 1.5" or longer and the DP site says they get that big at maturity.

I would be surprised if walmart had anything besides GSP's or figure 8's.

I'm not saying that your Walmarts definitely have them; I'm saying it was a possibility, because when my Walmart has brackish puffers they're marketed as brackish puffers, not FW.
And I agree Mr. Limpet, they're not similar besides spotting. (I actually prefer DPs to other puffers) I just didn't know exactly what you were looking for in similarity.

Last edited:
I feel like the GSP really needs rescuing. Amazing that they sell them really...

Puffers are predators. Some of the most aggressive and ruthless fish you can ever keep. Expect to lose everything else you might care about in that tank and expect to HAVE to feed them either live snails or live crayfish at some point to keep their teeth short. If you do not do that you will have to remove the fish, hold it, and trim it's teeth - which isn't fun.

Back
Top Bottom