Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PassMeThePuffer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought this puffer at the store they didn't know what kind because of his size he was 2-3 days out of egg does anybody know?

Attachments

• image-2762984151.jpg
    image-2762984151.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 176
  • image-1459443289.jpg
    image-1459443289.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 170
Full freshwater and you need a big tank like my own. Very aggressive fish. If its not right fish for you, then return him.

Hope this helps.

No I'm saying he's in my salt tank the one u named was fresh. He's not to aggressive he gets along with everything in tank

It's a bit hard to tell from your photos, but it looks to me to be a Spheroides species, perhaps S. testudineus. Post some photos when it's a little bigger and I might stand a better chance of putting a name on it. As for the age, it is almost certainly much older than that. Most reef fishes go through a pelagic larval stage that lasts a few weeks or more before settling on the reef as juveniles. Yours looks too big to even be a newly settled juvenile. I would guess that it is a few months old.

Tony

I think you should get that fish into freshwater. The red eyes, yellow tail, stripes along the side is a fahaka. If he is active and sometimes bury in sand, then that also increases the likelihood of it being a fahaka.

I've had him for a month now but the fish store said he was new? I'll post pics later to see if we can figure it out! Thanks for your help!

I know this probably doesn't help but when I give him live brine shrimp he chases all around tank and gets huge swollen belly

Sounds like you are enjoying him. Try not to overfeed. Belly should be slightly round after eating.

That's a fahaka alright and they need a tank of at least 75 gallons. Pure freshwater.

Ok Yiu guys keep saying fresh water but he came from a only salt fish/coral place?!! And he's been living in saltwater for at least a month with me so I don't think it's possible?

Yes I agree he looks almost identical! But he's not aggressive he gets run off food by my clown and living very well in my salt tank do u guys think with all that said he's still fresh? Will see in the future! He's my favorite so I hope he will do ok!

Here's him laying in sand! He does that every night!

Attachments

• image-2457988943.jpg
    image-2457988943.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3434384568.jpg
    image-3434384568.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 83
  • image-407539450.jpg
    image-407539450.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 89
Freshwater puffers like the fahaka and congo puffers tend to burrow like that.

PassMeThePuffer said:
Ok Yiu guys keep saying fresh water but he came from a only salt fish/coral place?!! And he's been living in saltwater for at least a month with me so I don't think it's possible?

The common myth of "all puffers are saltwater fish".. Still exist.

Your fahaka will die prematurely if kept improperly. This species is one of the most vicious puffers when mature.

Now I'm scared :( cause I love this little guy! So what do I do? Will he probably show signs of being sick? Also he's not aggressive at all will that come with time?

Back
Top Bottom