pulsing xenia might be dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can someone tell me what might be going on with my Xenia? It looks like its wilting... I moved my tank from school back home yesterday and this morning when I woke up it looked like this. What do I need to do?

ForumRunner_20120421_113744.jpg

If it was a move I would just do some small frequent PWC`s and make sure of pristine water conditions. If you used the same substrate then you`ll probably have an ammonia or nitrite spike.

I checked my parameters last night. Ammonia 0. Nitrites 0. pH 8.1. Nitrates 5. Our lfs said the pH might be low but this was not the case. They are still droopy and not pulsing. What else could cause them to weep?

Is this the same tank with dinos? If so,there is your answer.

Otherwise xenia is just a funny coral,they can survive in the best and worst conditions and vise verse,some folks cannot keep xenia no matter what.It's thriving i'm my current 55,but had it die in another older tank only to grow back 8 months later with no explanation.

Yeah its the same tank. Will a 4 day black out hurt the Xenia though? We are still new to the coral business.

Coral will do fine longer than 4 days,in the ocean,they can be blocked from sunlight for quite a period of time when a tropical depression or hurricane rolls through. But don't do the blackout without elevating the ph and reducing flow as mentioned and reading up on the treatment of dinoflagellates or you won't solve the issue with just a 4 day blackout.

Ok we turned the lights off this morning and we are going to keep them off until thursday to turn them back on. We will post something on thursday to tell yall what has happend.

Back
Top Bottom