pump & bio filters in winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbeno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's the situation of running pump & filter in icey weather ?
I'm told by some you let it run all year round,
Then ppl tell me, no way bring in doors as soon as winter is here, clean store away until spring
So what's the best thing to do ?
Thanks in advance guys

Bareing in mind, I'm in a 55 gallon pond preformed fibreglass & only 18" deep
It gets below zero in winter at times

just saying, your pond might freeze to the bottom. However, if you keep fish, you are going to need a hole in the ice so toxic gases can escape. If your pump is strong enough you could try; a better idea would be to purchase a heater or something to melt the ice and just save ur pump. personally, i think it would be safer if you just brought everything in. And if you cannot buy a heater as of now, you could try pouring boiling water over the ice, and don't try to split the ice with force, the vibrations can be detrimental to the fish. unless u dont keep fish then hit it all u want

Alright, well i saw your other post stating you "have a heater on hand." You should be able to only use the heater and the pump would not be necessary. However, there is still the problem of your pond's depth. If your fish are expensive such as koi, then I would suggest bringing them in. If not, you could just leave a couple outside and see if they die? Just kidding, I have no idea what I am saying.

child said:
Alright, well i saw your other post stating you "have a heater on hand." You should be able to only use the heater and the pump would not be necessary. However, there is still the problem of your pond's depth. If your fish are expensive such as koi, then I would suggest bringing them in. If not, you could just leave a couple outside and see if they die? Just kidding, I have no idea what I am saying.

Thx Child but are you serious, u av no idea ? Or is it possible will still freeze using a 150w heater, I'm sure a good flow of water from waterfall, fountain, prob should stop it iceing over, if pump dosnt seize up. but yes I was thinking same lines to be honest bring koi & grass carp in, but leave the goldies out, cruel if it froze, also cruel to disturb koi as it's in semi hibernation now.

Yeah no idea, just felt like typing; I apologize for my inaniloquent cacoethes. Though there are some valid suggestions to heed. My only experience is building a bletcherous pond; the liner is yclept: a two dollar shower curtain.
It would be crueler if you do not disturb the koi, leaving them the possibility to perish. If you have the space you might as well bring them in.
P. S. I am slightly capernoited.

I would bring the filter and the pumps and if you have a uv clarifier all inside for the winter. If you are leaving the fish in, yes a heater will prevent the pond from freezing over and allowing gasses to escape. When the pond freezes it freezes out first then down, the heater will ensure a nice nesting hole for the fish, the pumps will not fair well in the freezing temps, if you want you could put an air stone in there too. I have a similar sized pond, Koi should be fine, for the winter. I have 2 Koi and 2 orandas, and three red eared sliders. The orandas and turtles come in for the winter.

outside pond

i live in fl the colder part and i would always leve a milk jug floatin in my pond when it froze themilk jug would colapse and leave hole as the ice froze and on days it thawed up the jug would plump back up hope this helps i kept my air pump going but just laid a plastic 5 gal bucket over it and kept rain and bugs outi drilled a small hole just big enough to get plug thru then pulled cord all the way thru and siliconed it

Back
Top Bottom